iMovie Import is WAY TOO FAST

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DaveStoke, Mar 9, 2009.

1. DaveStoke macrumors newbie

I am importing video from a DV (Sony DCR-HC96) straight into iMovie. The transition is smooth and recorders plays in normal time. During transition, the video appears in normal speed.

However, when the import is completed -- and I try and PLAY the video on my Mac (MacBook Pro), the speed of the movie is SCREAMING FAST (16x-20x too fast.)

Anybody feeling smart about this?

2. captaineo macrumors newbie

LP importing to iMovie problems

I'm having the same problem. I'm using iMovie 7.1.4 and iMovie HD and my camcorder is a Samsung SC-D365 NTSC. It works fine on videos in SP, but when I do this LP one, it plays back really fast. I can't find any preferences in iMovie or on my camera that fixes this.

3. Kitten08 macrumors newbie

not the first time, but it's a random occurrence

Grrrr - I'm having the same problem. When it's happened before I assumed it was a bad tape (miniDV), but the footage I'm working with today is too important to give up so easily. I'm importing the tape from a Canon Gl-1 via firewire to a MacBk Pro (Intel). I tried importing into iMovie 06 first, then iMovie HD. Before I imported into the HD version I pretty much emptied my computer to free up 91GB, but it still played super fast/garbled audio after import. The video plays fine on the camera & looks fine during import. I did notice this time that the time code jumped around during import--it wasn't a steady count, sometimes it would seem to pause, then jump forward a few seconds. Does anybody have a suggestion on what I could try now?

4. captaineo macrumors newbie

Workaround

From all my research on this, most video editing programs cannot import LP video. The workaround I'm going to do is transfer the miniDV onto a DVD recorder. Then import that into iMovie.

I wish there was an easier way, but I don't think there is.