iMovie/iPhoto/iTunes Libraries on a Drobo 5D?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Michael73, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I just bought a Drobo 5D in November and really haven't done much with it. I bought it in advance of getting a new Mac Pro that was ordered last week and will come in February. The new Mac Pro has been configured with a 1TB SSD which is meant to be my boot drive. My current boot drive on my 2008 Mac Pro has 950GB filled and I want to free up some space. I've discovered that my iMovie Library is 160GB, my iTunes Library is 70GB and my iPhoto Library is 90GB. Moving these libraries to the Drobo would be fantastic but I read an Apple knowledge base article that says those libraries don't work with a NAS and need to be on a drive that is formatted HFS Journaled. Do you know if I can move these libraries over to the Drobo 5D to free up boot drive space?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have my Aperture Libraries on my Drobo Mini without any problems.

3. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

I wonder if it's possible to have the "libraries" located on the boot disk, but the material they reference on the Drobo?

For example, under the advanced preferences in iTunes there's a checkbox for, "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". If left unchecked wouldn't that do what I suggested above? Similarly, in iPhoto in preferences there's a checkbox for, "Importing: Copy items to the iPhoto Library"

4. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Why don't you just format Drobo as HFS+ Journaled volume?