iMovie & iPhoto video library storage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajohansson, Aug 24, 2012.

1. ajohansson macrumors regular

My iphoto library resides on a 2TB external to my mac mini. iPhoto library has some videos on it from my iphone that have been uploaded. When I go to my iMovie application to edit any of those videos in the event library on the left all of the videos from my iphoto library are listed under the Mac Mini HD not the Glyph 2TB HD. Is that normal? I double checked the library i am using is on the 2TB HD. Does iMovie actually extract the video? I didnt think so. Any help explaining the hierarchy of the iphoto/imovie integration would be great. I did search but could not find anything explaining this. Thanks.

AJ

2. simsaladimbamba

Since your iPhone records its video in an editing unfriendly codec (H.264), iMovie transcodes (converts) that video into an editing friendly format and codec (Apple Intermediate Codec), thus that transcoded video gets stored in the iMovie folder (Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Movies / iMovie /).
    You can however change that folder to be anywhere you want.

3. ajohansson thread starter macrumors regular

When I browse the iMovie folder in finder these videos are not there or I cant see them. If i right click the video clip to right of the event finder and click on reveal in finder it takes me to a shared folder and highlights the .mov file. if i right click and click on get info it shows the file to be located on the external HD /Volumes/GLYPH-2 TB/iPhoto/Johansson iPhoto/Originals/2012/Jan 20, 2012

So interesting that while in imovie the iphot event shows it on my local HD and shows the glyph HD right below it but when i actually look to see where they are at they are in the glyph HD. I just wanted to make sure they are on my external and not on my computer. Thanks for your reply as it got the wheels turning to help figure this out. If you have any other info to add let me know. Thanks.

AJ