iMovie/iPhoto

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by expat42451, Apr 25, 2014.

1. expat42451 macrumors regular

In AppStore updates I have a message that

"To receive future updates, the bundled applications IMovie and IPhoto will be assigned to your Apple ID. A unique hardware identifier from your computer must be sent to Apple to verify eligibility."

I dont do any movie editing. I run Lightroom for photo editing. Why should I need to accept these updates if I don't use or need either program? If I elect not to accept these programs, then do I not receive any future updates? I currently have neither program in "Applications". I was a bit chagrined to see this. Any information anyone else has on this would be deeply appreciated.

Regards

Expat

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

They're free apps you're eligible for with your computer. If you accept them, they'll start downloading - but you can cancel that. Accepting will ensure that they're liked as apps you "Own" under your Apple ID, and you can then install them at any time in the future.

3. expat42451 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info......what bothered me about the message was the "to receive further updates" part which the way it was worded did not stipulate whether the updates would be for only IMovie/IPhoto or for the system as a whole. I accepted them but they aren't installed yet. Going to be interesting to see what happens with this.

Many thanks for the info again

Expat

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The message refers to the iPhoto/iMovie updates only. OS Updates are automatically made available in the APP Store and based on the version of OS you are running.