iMovie Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CentralFC, Jan 5, 2012.

1. CentralFC macrumors member

For this video project we've been working on, we're utilizing iMovie with my Macbook Pro. We've uploaded interviews we've done with teachers and used it for a major part of the video itself. For the first half or so, we were able to simply input a picture into a middle of an interview after detaching the audio. Then, we get that audio while the picture is on the screen.

However, for some reason now we're having issues with it. We'll have the detached audio, it'll work fine, but once a picture comes up the audio will just get muted. We've tried the volume settings and pretty much all we can think of.

Any ideas? We'd like to keep it consistent so we have pictures that relate to the topic of discussion while the interview is taking place.

Let me know, it'd be greatly appreciated!

2. ObuckiO macrumors regular

It if your not already doing this, i seems like you need to split screen,(picturing a news interview). I have read your post a few times and don't know exactly what your saying though.
    Have you messed with Audio settings: Ducking, Fade in/out?

3. CentralFC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll try explaining it again haha.

Anyways, here it goes:

So initially, we had our clips from the interviews. They were just normal videos with audio. To sort of make it a bit more appealing, we wanted to add pictures that could fade out like you'd see in a history channel documentary. We wanted the audio from the video (which we detached) to play over the clip. We got this to work and deleted part of the video, but kept the audio, so when the picture left, it'd revert back to the original clip with the audio in sync still.

Now, the audio is still there. But when the picture appears within the clip, the audio just mutes. When it disappears, the audio comes back on.

Hopefully that's detailed enough!

4. CentralFC thread starter macrumors member

Screen shot 2012-01-05 at 9.10.15 PM.png

If you look at the red line, that's where we're having issues. The audio stops right there when it transitions into the placed photo.

5. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I see what you mean. I just know what i could try, maybe someone else has an exact fix,
    This helped me figure it out, Youtube I hope this is what you need.
    I also have green/blue screened curtian parts instead of pic-n-pic, and played with the color until what ever video i wanted over took the other. Sorry if i didn't help:)

6. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I tried what i think your doing. I was able to green screen the clip i inserted, and just make your original interview play beyond your clip inserts. (whole interview in one thing & add clips where ever you want)
    By the look of your background shot, you should be able to not have to mess with color that much.

7. CentralFC thread starter macrumors member

Figured it out.

I have to turn on Advanced Preferences. When doing so, I can simply throw a picture into the original clip and it'll transition to that. I don't have to tweak the audio at all.

Thanks for your help.

8. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I'll keep that in mind. That's good to know you got it. Good luck.:D