Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merQrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Hi guys,

while in imovie, i can't get the edit playback smooth. quality is set to standard, 30fps, the clips (mpeg4) are fine as is the music (aac). even when i export to quicktime: same problem. I have 30gigs available of hard disk, not running other programs, disk warriored my permissions. Any help would be great.

All the best,

Q

merQrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Its a 1Ghz G4 Powerbook with 768 SDRAM. I have been using a 5400 rpm external drive to store & work on the projects, but also tried moving the project to the native HD to see if that helped. It didnt.

Applespider

macrumors G4
You might just need more power to do it - or set the edit playback quality to lowest in iMovie and resign yourself to v long export times.

I use an external 7200 hard drive with 1.25GB of RAM to edit on my 1.25Ghz Powerbook and it's OK.

On the few occasions when I tried with 512MB and on the internal, the results weren't good.

merQrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2004
thanks so much. still no joy. is there any hidden things on my re-formatted hd that i dont know of?

thanks for your time

TotalForge

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
Try creating a short test project in NTSC DV format, and see how it is. MPEG is probably more CPU hungry than DV, you might gain speed by switching formats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.