iMovie-Ken Burns effect only goes so small

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nashchi, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Nashchi macrumors newbie

Hi guys, iMovie n00b here.

I've searched the net and can't find an answer anywhere, so I'm trying you guys. I'm editing some storyboards and need to have a smooth pan from one spot to another, and so the Ken Burns effect should be the answer.

The problem is that when you go to edit the Start and End boxes, they will only go *so* small, and no smaller. Why does there seem to be an arbitrary restriction on how small you can make your boxes?

This is in my mind an unnecessary restriction and so I've spent tons of time trying to devise a workaround. It doesn't look like you can keyframe camera moves in iMovie either. Do I need to bail on iMovie and get a Final Cut guru to help me?

Thanks in advance!

2. xStep macrumors 68000

I suppose you could get tricky.

First, place the full un-cropped picture in iMovie and do your effect. Next in your photo app of choice create a copy of the original image and crop to the image as seen in iMovie. Save and add that new image to iMovie immediately after the first image and apply your effect.

If you have an image editor that allows for overlays with transparency, then grab the last frame of that first iMovie transition and use that as an overlay for better accuracy of setting up the second image.