iMovie - Limited Effects?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rorii, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Rorii macrumors newbie

I've been using iMovie HD for about a year now, and didn't bother upgrading to iMovie 8 because people told me that it was really bad..

The only problem I have is that I love to use tons of effects in my movies - and there are some which are really missing in iMovie HD.

For example-

Zooming in & out - almost every program I know has the ability to zoom in and out on clips, yet all that iMovie has is the "key-burn effect" which only works on photos... It's quite irritating.

Playing two clips at the same time - you have the option of "cross dissolve"; but that's really not what I'm looking for. I wanted to play two moving clips over one another...

I was thinking to invest in Final Cut Studio; but it's quite expensive.

My question is: Are there any, like 'effects upgrade' to iMove HD or is there any way I can accomplish these effects?

Hopefully I haven't confused everybody :eek::D

Would be grateful if you could reply, or message me if you know anything on this!

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

there are some effects plug ins for imovie 06 out there, just google it, fyi imovie 08 is incredible, very slick / fast and easy to use, though if you like lots of effects other than creating ones with colour channels etc its probably not for you.

3. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

I don't get why Apple did this, is it because they are making separate softwares and selling them to get more money? If yes, then I'll go back to Windows :p

4. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

5. quadgirl macrumors regular

Yes, the Slick Effects series are really good, but do not work with iMovie '08. I think Apple closed the third party plugin support for '08. As Island Dog said, if you like lots of effects, get Slick plugins for iMovie HD. If you want to have more than 1 video track, that'll mean you need Final Cut Express 4. (a hell of a lot cheaper than Final Cut Pro).

6. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

I used Final Cut Pro in school before for making this movie for camp, it had really good effects, I wanted to get it, but then I got a Macbook laptop and its memory is going down from 53 GB, I wish I could link it up through to another computer, maybe in the future I'll get Macbook Pro and get all the softwares although I'm not doing Media Studies for GCSE, although I would love to do cool stuff in my spare time :cool: