iMovie & Live Type

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by IntenZ, Dec 19, 2007.

1. IntenZ macrumors newbie

I have FCE4 and Live Type, but for some projects its just faster and easier to use iMovie.

Problem: I import a few Live type .mov's to my iMovie event. I edit them in to the iMovie project and when I watch the project in iMovie the Live Type stuff plays back great with all the edits that I had done. When I go to share it with iTunes, You Tube or any other form of sharing including export movie all the live type stuff no longer works in the finished video?

Is there something I need to render into iMovie for the Live Type .mov's to work?

2. Lebowski macrumors 6502

you should learn fcp better.

it is not faster, or easier to work in imovie than final cut.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not sure but have you thought about doing your rough edit in iMovie and then importing it into FCE to do transitions/livetype and exporting it out from there?

I've just bought FCE4 and am finishing off a project in iMovie since FCE is a little daunting on first glance! But am planning on doing the above.

4. IntenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be my first choice to import from iMovie to FCE or just build it in FCE. From day one FCE has not functioned at all. I have been to the genius bar and spoke with techs and re-installed and I still can not get FCE to work properly. My machine is more than FCE needs to run so until I can figure out the situation I need to use iMovie. This is a Christmas gift to my GF. Its a video of her daughter singing and playing with audio backing. I had built some creative text in Live Type to go in it but they don't seem to show up in the final product.

I did find some info on the Mac forum that may help. I am trying it now. Its a .mov converter. Seems that some compression isn't fully compatible with QT. QT will play it but it will not mix. So I am converting the .mov's to a DV format that is fully compatible with QT. I'll let you know if it works

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

You didn't go into detail about your problem with FCE, but the problem you describe with QuicktimePro may have been your problem with FCE as well. When in doubt convert to DV.

All that said... you could consider 2 other alternatives:

1) Importing your movie into LiveType directly using "place background movie" and then when you go to render it, make sure you have "render with the background" box checked. This will give you a HUGE file, but you can drag it back into iMovie to add in the audio. There will be no loss of quality.. just a huge file

2) Why not use the titles provided in iMovie? They're not Livetype, but they're pretty good!

6. IntenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

My problems with FCE are:

If I import a XML file from iMovie to FCE the audio and video will not play at the same time. I can mute the adio and the video plays or vice versus. If I capture straight into FCE the video plays back twice as fast as the audio. Meaning the video is in high speed while audio remains the same. Also the video is very choppy. I don't have this problem with iMovie imports.

Live Type has its own set of issues. I have created several short 6 second files but if I try and make too much movement with shadows ect, it will not let me render. I can render a preview but when I try and render the full file it states I don't have enough memory. I have 116 gig free on the firewire external and 2 gig with nothing else running. I can make smaller more simple typesets but nothing elaborate. The only thing Mac Tech has recommended was re-installing the software from operating disc up.

I have a Mac Book 2.16 Intel Core Duo. 2 months old with 2 gig ram. Very little on the internal and an Acomdata 160 gig external firewire drive.

And converting to DV solved my issue with using Live Type with iMovie. Seems Live Type's .mov files use a compression that is not iMovie compatable. I downloaded the MPEG StreamClip free from Apple.

I really hope that I can get the FCE working properly cause I just picked up FC studio 2 and an iMac.