iMovie - Lost Resolution (Import and Export)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dhawans, Jan 5, 2012.

1. dhawans macrumors newbie

I have a Sony Camcorder which is compatible with iMovie. I have used the same camcorder to download the various clips to a windows machine as an mpeg file with no (or no significant loss of resolution).

1) Import: I imported the clips from the camcorder to iMovie - they imported as *.MOV files, but I seem to have lost significant resolution. I am new to iMovie and am now wondering if this is typical or are there import setting I need to fix/adjust prior to importing.

2) Export: When I use the camera on the mac laptop to make movies the resolution seems fine as an *.mov file. When I exported it to a mpeg file to play on windows I lost significant resolution. Is there an export setting I need to fix so I dont loose resolution?

3) Also, I would much rather making home movies that can be used to play back both on Macs and Windows without lossing resolution. Is there a format I should converge on and is iMovie capable.

I have used Adobe PhotoSelect on Windows before with good results with the same camcorder (its not High Def). I am now wondering is making movies on the Mac vs using PhotoSelct on Windows is better? I would really appreciate some guidance. As I dont understand how or why I am loosing resolution on the Mac when I import a file. I was under impression Mac are better for photos and video, hence I was trying to converge to Macs.

2. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

When importing you should see a window with where to save, Add to existing event, Create new event and most important, selecting resolution. I shoot 1920x1080i and import using that setting. I'm using iMovie 8 so it might be different for you.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine