iMovie making invalid movies

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NSDuo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. NSDuo macrumors newbie

I recently made my first movie in iMovie. I managed to export it as a quicktime movie, but I can't do anything with it except open and play it in Quicktime X.

I tried to upload it to youtube, I got an error saying "upload failed, invalid movie."

I then tried re-saving it in Quicktime X, after all it can open and play the movie right?
    Wrong, apparently Quicktime can open it, but can't save it. I got another error when trying to save.

I'm wondering if it has to with my iMovie version, I'm using imovie HD (6.0), and I think its method of writing movie files is outdated.

Is this what my problem is, or is it something else?

And while I'm asking questions about iMovie, do the later versions support making movies in 1080p and or custom resolutions?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Quicktime Pro will allow you to re-save. It's like $29 through Apple.

I seem to recall that even within iMovie6 you can export other file types. I don't believe the general QT format (.mov?) files are uploadable directly to YouTube. Try exporting as an AVI or something similar. I believe there are multiple options.

FWIW: iMovie 9 allows you to share directly with YouTube in one easy step.

3. NSDuo thread starter macrumors newbie

Wasn't Quicktime Pro made obsolete with Quicktime X? (which I mentioned I have by the way) I already have the ability to save, but with re-saving this one movie I always get an error.

You can not.

That's good, but I already managed to get it uploaded (I should have mentioned that before), again, with Quicktime X. What I want to know is if iMovie HD is too outdated for use with other applications.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

Haven't thought about it. I purchased QT pro within the last year...and I still seem to have functionality in X...so you may be correct.

I thought for sure in 6 you could choose to export using Quicktime and go into the options and export it in a format other than .mov...or whatever the standard is. I know for a fact I have made .avi files from iMovie projects and I don't recall using another program. Hmmmm.

Well, to do the 'latest and greastest' 6 or HD is outdated, but lots of folks prefer the timeline which isn't in iMovie 9. 9 is a lot like other higher-end movie editing software packages like FCP and Premiere in my experience.

What I LOVE about it is that in any project, I have access to ALL my movie files. I don't have to import them specifically into the project I am currently editing. If I know I have some vids in iPhoto I want to use, they are there and can be dragged and dropped right in from the current iMovie screen. Same thing for any and all imported MiniDV content. it's all there for the picking...no importing, no fumbling through menus to locate and then import. Drag and drop within iMovie!