iMovie misplaces photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RickWall23, Apr 19, 2012.

1. RickWall23 macrumors newbie

Hello. I use iMovie each week for my job, and it's doing some really weird stuff.

Each week, I have to take a bunch of pictures and set them to an audio recording as part of my job, and I've been using iMovie to do this since the start of the year. Basically, I just drag all my photos into iMovie and then drag the audio on top of it and set the amount of time each photo is displayed so that the photos line up with the audio. Easy enough right?

Except that iMovie just randomly messes the photos up. Sometimes thumbnails will get replaced so that it looks like I have more than one of a certain photo and that one or two photos are missing, but when I play, it plays the correct picture not the incorrect thumbnail. Other times, when I click play, it just won't display anything on the photos with incorrect thumbnails, and sometimes it won't display anything on thumbnails that are perfectly fine. Sometimes if I quit and reopen iMovie, the photos will correct themselves. Other times, I can scrap the whole project and make a new one several times and the new project will still get the exact same thumbnails wrongs. Sometimes, despite where the playhead is, it only displays the photo I most recently adjusted.

It started doing this occasionally a couple months ago, but now it does this everytime I start a new project. I'm currently trying to finish a video for this week, but iMovie hasn't worked properly with this project despite quiting 4-5 times and making 4-5 different projects.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I feel like iMovie is playing practical jokes on me.

I do all the videos in Widescreen, and I have a widescreen logo that runs at the beginning and end of each video for a few seconds. I use the same logo file here everyweek, and then I add a new folder full of fullscreen images to it. These logo files seem to cause problems about twice as often as the regular images. On my current project, the logo thumbnails are fine, but when I attempt to play them, I get nothing. The other images are fine except for 2. One of these just gets randomly replaced as a thumbnail and as the actual playing photo by another photo in the group. The other problem image gets replaced by the logo photo as a thumbnail and displays black when I attempt to play it. All of the photos in question are JPGs.

I've also tried exporting a problem project as a movie to see what happened, and in the spots where the photo was messed up or had an incorrect thumbnail, the video just goes black until the next photo. Audio is fine during these parts.

I'm running Lion 10.7.3 and iMovie 9.0.4 on a Macbook Pro pre-unibody.

2. RickWall23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just moved all of my old projects out of the "iMovie Projects" folder to my desktop, and low and behold, it's working as normal now.

Can anyone explain why this is? I don't want to have to get rid of all my old projects constantly.

3. jgoody10 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. Moving the project to the Desktop did not work for me. I'm running 10.7.4 on a 1.8 Ghz MacBook Air.

Does anyone have any ideas?