iMovie mp4 issue

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iamjoygray, Jul 10, 2009.

1. iamjoygray macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a new imac with iMovie 09. I recently downloaded several mp4 movies, and they play in Quicktime. I have attempted to import them into iMovie, and it says they have imported, but there aren't any thumbnails.

I've seen a few threads here that mention using other converters to try to resolve this problem. Can I do this with downloaded video? I'm new to the imac.

Or is there an easier way to fix the import problem?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Mattaut macrumors regular

Have you tried closing iMovie, deleting the thumbnails for the movies in the iMovie Events folder, then restarting iMovie? It should generate new thumbnails when you restart it.

3. iamjoygray thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm... I'm not seeing anything that I can delete... but after doing some further investigation, it looks like there are quite a few movies in my video files (.avi., .mov., mp4 and others) that aren't in iMovie. Is this a general issue, or is there another app that manages a larger range of movie file types? All I really need is a simple way to view them and burn them (with all files in one place).

Many thanks.

4. Mattaut macrumors regular

Try and put the actual iMovie Thumbnails folder into the trash and restart iMovie. If that doesn't work take all the movies out of the iMovie Events folder and reimport them to iMovie. Also, if you're not looking to do any editing and you just want to put all these movies on a disc and have them play one after another, you can probably do that in Toast if you have it.

5. iamjoygray thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, I tried the thumbnails, but no joy....

I've moved all of my videos into one central list and tried to import them, but it only seems to allow me to select certain file types to import - with quite a few greyed out (not selectable for import). I'll look at Toast and any other suggestions.

Cheers.