iMovie music and iDVD chapter woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kenzembo1, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of editing a wedding video and have hit a wall. I'm using iMovie to edit the raw footage- add music, transitions, effects, titles, etc. The project is nearly complete, but I'm having issues with the music (tracks) that I've added through iTunes. It was working fine at first, but now the music simply won't play and there is silence in it's place. Now, I'm new at this, but I have a strong feeling this problem arose as a result of me deleting the tracks on my iTunes account. Can anyone confirm this to be true? The reason for deleting the tracks was because it was country music and I can't stand the stuff. There were about 4 tracks in total and I deleted them thinking that since the video was finished, I could rid them from my account. These were songs that I purchased through iTunes btw. I scoured my trash can and can't seem to find the files. What's more, I did a spotlight and finder search for the tracks and nothing came up! It would be a shame if I had to purchase the tracks yet again, but I would do so if necessary- I just want to be sure that that's where the problem lies.

Also, I'm using iDVD to create a nice menu/interface. I've elected to use the "revolution" style theme and it looks great! The only thing that would make it better would be to add 3-4 chapters, since the wedding video is a little over 2 hours long. I don't know even where to begin! I've been looking at YouTube videos but can't seem to get the hang of it. This seems like such a simple concept in theory, but I fear it to be more difficult in application. If anyone has any tips, advice, or know how I would very much appreciate it!

Lastly, once I sort out the music issues (in iMovie) and the chapter creation (in iDVD), how can I combine these projects and burn it to a single DVD? I'm a total amateur, so I really haven't the slightest clue how to do this. I understand that the project has to somehow be rendered, but I'm not sure how this works. If anyone can shed light on this I would be very thankful!

Sorry for the long post, I hope you guys can help!

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Firstly, assuming that you are using iMovie8/9, the music has to be on your computer in order for iMovie to use it. It's not copied over to the movie file, so if you delete it, then it won't play. If you look in your iMovie project, you probably have a yellow triangle with a ! mark at the beginning of the problem music tracks??

As far as I know, you can't create chapter markers in iMovie8/9, and trying to do it in DVD is a pain, with only being able to do it every so many minutes.

The best way is probably to create a separate project in iMovie for each "chapter", share it to the Media Browser, and then in iDVD drag in each project/chapter from the Media Browser into your iDVD project.

3. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're correct- there are yellow triangles with a "!" mark at the beginning of each track, probably an indication that the music has to be on my computer to play it in iMovie. Do you think there's any way to recover the deleted tracks or will I have to re-purchase them?

As far as the chapter(s) issue is concerned, I'm not sure what you mean by media browser...do I have to register for one online prior to? I'm not familiar with how this works. The whole thing sounds a little over-whelming :eek:

I didn't promise them chapters, although, I thought it would be a nice feature. Also, how would you suggest I blend this altogether and burn it to a single DVD? I'm not sure how to combine the menu screen I made in iDVD with the video I edited in iMovie. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help!

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Look under iMovie's Share Menu. Media Browser is a storage section on the computer where you can share media with all other Mac Applications.

In iDVD click on the Media button(in the bottom right corner), then the Movies button and anything in the Media Browser will show there.

If you speak nicely to the iTunes Store, they sometimes let you re-download stuff that you have already bought.