iMovie: No sound in clips from digital camera

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by generationxwing, May 7, 2007.

1. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I guess the title of this pretty much sums it up. I'm able to import video clips that were taken with my GF's Sony digital camera to my iMac and to iMovie. But when I play the clips in iMovie, there's no sound. The clips DO have sound (I can play them fine in Quicktime), and the little speaker icon next to the time line is checked.

If anyone has any advise, I'd really appreciate it!!

EDIT: I found out why, apparently the clip is "muxed" MPEG 1 so I need to find a way to convert it to DV format. Any software tips?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Try MPEGStreamclip, it's free.

Brian

3. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

That is a great app, thanks! All I wanted was to be able to convert the clips to DV, but I was even able to enhance the brightness/contrast with it. I am very happy. Thanks again!

4. luichba macrumors newbie

Thanks so much

Thank you so much man for your advice. I had the same issue with no sound on the clips I imported and now I used the software you recommended and worked just great. Thanks again.

Luis

5. krazykiefer macrumors newbie

.mpg to .mp4 is this the best?

Great product. It is a real $$$ saver. Don't have to mess with anything else or buy a new camera.

I use a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N2 and a DSCP-10.

Both save to .mpg format. I was frustrated not to be able to load that format in iMovie.

MPEG Streamclip converts my old .MPG files.

First I tried to .AVI but no audio.

Then I tried .MP4 GREAT audio and video together.

My question: Should I be converting .MPG to .MP4 files or is there a better format with better quality?