imovie not using very much cpu

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by christarp, Feb 3, 2014.

1. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

I started editing an hour and a half of gopro footage in 1080p and got all the transitions I wanted and stuff, kept it pretty simple. Anyway, I selected the youtube option and it started to do its thing, the circle is about 1/8th of the way filled, and the progress bar beneath the movie in the theater is completely empty.

Now when I started it was using 99% of the CPU and it said estimated 200 minutes remaining, since it reached its current point it hasn't really budged and it now says 650 minutes remaining, and seems to be climbing. I went into the activity monitor to find out that it's only using about 5% of the CPU now and my macbook pro is running quite cool and barely audible. imovie however seems to still be running and it's not saying it's not responding in the activity monitor, and I can still switch tabs and do stuff in it, so I don't know what's going on, it would be nice if imovie gave a more detailed description of what exactly is going on in the process.

Any tips?

Edit: Scratch that, I just remembered a little thing in the corner saying it might not allow uploads greater than 15 minutes in length, so maybe that's where a hang up is occuring, but youtube has said I am enabled for greater than 15 minute uploads, I'll see if that's what's going on and try exporting to a file.

2. christarp thread starter macrumors 6502

christarp

So it seems uploading directly to youtube was the problem. I managed to export it as a file first and upload to youtube via the site just fine, so I guess imovie isn't handling the longer than 15 minute uploads for those enabled properly.