All iPads iMovie on iPad - what's the verdict?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by grani13, Sep 30, 2016.

1. grani13 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am about to buy a new ipad - my old iPad 2 having been stolen. :-(

I'm recently getting more interested in video and consider using the ipad for that (would probably see more use than sitting at the iMac), especially when on the road.

What's your experience with iMovie on the ipad - is the interface any useful for editing? Is the 9.7" iPad good enough, or would the 12.9" be more suitable (provided the app makes use of the bigger screen).

thanks in advance for some 1st hand feedback
    grani13

2. cfs123 macrumors regular

I currently create short videos for home and work on my iPad mini with iOS 10. It works great for simple editing and iMovie has improved with the way volume lowers in background when video with audio is playing and a few other features. The hard part I have that forces me to go to my Mac is when I have a ton of photos as a part of the movie because iMovie iOS sets the pictures at 6 seconds and tge only way to change the time on it is to use your finger and drag the screen till the time gets where you want it but it is not an effective method at all and not very accurate either. Doing this on a Mac is simple.

3. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

iPad Pro 12.9" is toe to toe with 15" Macbook Pro on 4k movie export in iMovie
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/11/23/ipad-pro-vs-macbook-4k-export-test-video/

4. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

There are several limitations when comparing to the Mac version. Things like being able to select multiple clips, as above and change their properties simultaneously. Changing fonts on the titles, not being able to trim the titles (they stay for the whole clip, so you have to split a clip if you want a title to fade away, for example and by default this means no titles across multiple clips either.), title selection very limited. This all goes for transitions as well. Also many fewer trailer themes to choose from, and so on...

Granted, it has gotten better with every release, and getting source material into the iOS version is no longer quite the pain in the arse it used to be, but with the processing and graphics power iPads and iPhones have these days, there is absolutely no reason why there should be complete parity between the Mac and iOS versions of this and all the other native Apple apps...

5. grani13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you actually share the videos seamlessly between iOS and OS X? E.g. start editing on an ipad while on vacation, then finetune when you are back home...

6. cfs123 macrumors regular

I don't have iCloud so I am not sure. Good question.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

IMovie is very limited with editing. There is 3rd party apps that will do better such as multi clips. I wish Apple would make Final Cut Pro X Lite for iOS that would be awesome.

8. grani13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sure it still exceeds my editing and creative skills ;-) (unfortunately)