iMovie on iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zMacintoshz, Mar 15, 2011.

1. zMacintoshz macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

How does everyone like it?
    What do you use it for?
    How does it feel?
    This is one of the apps that i have been waiting for, and am want when my iPad2 arrives. (I ordered a 64GB Wi-Fi+3G AT&T in black)
    What Camera video formats does it support?
    I'm looking to get a Canon T3i or 60D

2. SkyStudios macrumors member

SkyStudios

Well before you embark with imovie the first thing that will cross your mind is why iMovie for the iPad will not work without location services on, especially after Apple go sued over other apps that exploited this information.

As for iMovie itself, its a fantastic app, so is Garageband, it behaves like the desktop, maybe not as flexible, and add ons are available for HD backgrounds and texts.

The camera on the iPad 2 is a bit like the cheap plastic-ish cameras but with some lighting it works great, other then that its just cool to have cameras, im over the iPad 1 already.

iMovie does feel nice, there are 3rd party developers that provide backgrounds and texts, i imagine Final Cut will make it to the iPad as well in the near future becuase Apple has a major release coming very soon and they do have FCP controller apps already to control the desktop.

BTW shooting video on the iPad 2 is much more stable then a iPhone, becuase it is bigger in size o shaking is noticed, you can be sure that its very steady if you need to run in the park with it to shoot kids, its a must for any camera enthusiast, hope apple adds better lenses.

All Best

3. ken987 macrumors member

Hi,
    I am very new to iMovie...I bought it...but I thought I could bring in my own videos that I shot with my HD camera...I did convert them to apple friendly versions...but still no....has anyone been able to find a creative way to use movies taken with another camera for use in iMovie?

4. shandyman Suspended

how are you getting them from the camera to the iPad? they need to be on your camera roll on the iPad for it to work IIRC. so email to yourself and save them, or dropbox and save. something like that

5. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Just buy the camera connector kit. Plug your iPhone into the iPad 2 and just import.

6. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I suspect a ton of us bought iMovie but very very few of us are actually using it because of the restrictions in file formats and the inadequate camera.

I accept iMovie isn't for Pro use, but my preferred method of grabbing short video would be using the native camera. But the camera isnt very good at all, even as a novelty. Unless the footage you are working with was taken with the native camera (HD doesn't mean it's good) or imported from an iPhone 4 (which not everyone has) then there's a lot of hoops for us to jump through in order to use iMovie. All my footage with the built in camera is pretty grainy and low quality and the stuff taken with my DSLR (converted on the computer, then uploaded to iMovie) is hit or miss because iMovie doesn't recognize all of it.

So in the end iMovie is impressive software but due to the poor camera and picky format reqs then it's just too much trouble to use as a true media creation tool.