IMovie on iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by charlyee, Jul 29, 2011.

1. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

Hello all, i use iMovie on my MBA to import and process HD videos from my Canon VIXIA HF10 and works as expected and very well.

I recently got my iPad 2 and was assured that I will be able to do the same with the Camera Connection Kit. I just bought iMovie for iPad app and iMovie is not seeing the videos on my camera, these is the same video that I have imported to my MBA.

Is the iPad2 not capable of importing in videos from a camera?

If that is the case is there a way to get a refund or a credit since I have no intention of taking videos with my iPad?

Please help.

My apologies if this has been asked before.

Thanks much :)

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You import movies and photos using the 'Photos' app. (The one with the sunflower.)

Once they're in your camera roll, iMovie can make use of them.

Yeah, they should probably put an 'import' button in iMovie that takes you to the photo app, but they just figure you should automatically know that? I dunno.

3. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

Thanks for the prompt reply.

That is interesting, when I was trying to import them with iMovie last night the Photo app was automatically opening up and saying "no photos to import". Is there something I need to do different to import videos into the Photo app?

Thanks again.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You can also add them from within iTunes. Just connect your device and click on the Apps tab.

Attached Files:

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's the method, so I'm not sure what's not happening correctly. Do a test and try to capture still photos that way. Does it work?

You should do some research online to see if your camera produces a video codec that the iPad supports. I know you don't want to hear this, but it's possible you'll need a new camera that records in H.264.

The alternative is to capture to your Mac, convert the footage, and then put it on your iPad. But I'm sure that's not something you'd want to do.

6. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

Thanks I will give that a try.

Thanks again. :)

Yes capturing still photos does work.

The iPad was going to be temporary editing and storage during trips and the plan is to come back and finish the project on my MBA.

I will try without opening iMovie tonight. Since I was dismissing Photo as it was coming up, it probably wasn't a true test.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, let it sit for a few minutes. It's possible it won't show you anything until it's analyzed everything and importated thumbnails for all the clips.

8. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

I just found this You-tube video, the quality is rather poor and there are no verbal instructions. Seems the person needed another app (Splice) to be able to import the video.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC64eE8JAmo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

9. dickdaney macrumors regular

I was under the impression that imovie for ipad and iphone could only handle 720p h.264 files. I had a wmv file that I had to convert to 720p before imovie would accept it. imovie on ipad won't even use normal .mp4 files that itunes will handle fine.

If your stand alone camera can't record video in 720p h.264, then you may be out of luck.

10. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

At that point you may as well do the editing on the computer which is much faster than the iPad.

11. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

Thanks mine does record in h.264 but I am not positive about the 720p

12. dickdaney macrumors regular

1 more thing. I specifically converted the file to 720p/h.264/30fps/44100kHz audio. This is the format that the iphone/ipad record in.

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

As long as your movie doesn't need to get too fancy, iMovie will get the job done. I just did a 14 minute slide show with music a couple of weeks ago for my wife's grandma's 80th birthday.

I synced all the photos to my iPad so I could work on the slideshow on the train, as my time at home to sit in front of the computer is very limited. It came out terrific. Keep in mind if you want to burn this to a DVD that you will need to export the movie to your photos and then pull it off the iPad for burning. You may also need something to convert the format depending on what kind of system you're running at home.

I would say that all in all, despite all the steps I had to take to get my movie to DVD, it was worth it to do it on the iPad just for the convenience alone. People were pretty shocked at the birthday party when I told them I did the slide show on a $5 iPad app.

14. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

Thanks guys for all your help. I even downloaded Splice, actually an iPhone app and that didn't work either.

I am ready to give up and I will pretty. I know someone who has a CCK and I just want to try my card in his CCK in the off chance that there is something wrong with mine. I very much doubt this since neither CCK worked.