Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al_bert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Canada
Hi,

I'm pretty new in Mac word. I just bought a MacbookPro late 2011, with AMD Radeon HD 6770M, what came with Mojave 10.14.3. Everything works fine except the iMove. I read that Mojave actually require Metal capable graphics card, and only with patcher is possible to install the system. I saw an add on internet with the same laptop/OS version, and I asked if iMovie works, and the answer was yes. This means there is a workaround to make it work?
Also an other question. Now I have Mojave 10.14.3, if I want to upgrade to 10.14.6 I have to do from scratch with patcher, cannot be a 'normal' upgrade, right?

Thanks in advance.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Hi,

I'm pretty new in Mac word. I just bought a MacbookPro late 2011, with AMD Radeon HD 6770M, what came with Mojave 10.14.3. Everything works fine except the iMove. I read that Mojave actually require Metal capable graphics card, and only with patcher is possible to install the system. I saw an add on internet with the same laptop/OS version, and I asked if iMovie works, and the answer was yes. This means there is a workaround to make it work?
Also an other question. Now I have Mojave 10.14.3, if I want to upgrade to 10.14.6 I have to do from scratch with patcher, cannot be a 'normal' upgrade, right?

Thanks in advance.

As far as iMovie, even if it's OpenGL it would still possibly work in Mojave, since Mojave does still support OpenGL.

As for the update to 10.14.6, just go into system preferences, software update, and the 10.14.6 update should appear.

al_bert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Canada
Unfortunately the iMovie not works. When I try to open it, a popup window says that graphics card is not good enough (I also tried with gfxCards to force the AMD card, but not helped). I deleted the app because was useless, now in Appstore is a newer version what requires Majove 10.14.6.
About the update ... in software update the Catalina macOS is shown, but I read somewhere if you run Majove on a nonsupported MacBook (intsalled with patch) is not recomended to let the upgrade run. This is true?
I'm hungry to learn more about Mac :)

al_bert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Canada
I think I figured out how to use it. I reinstalled the iMovie, and I'm using the gfxCardStatus... The trick is I have to force the Intel card with gfx before start iMovie. After some readings I figured out that the problem is with AMD card, what cannot do 3D acceleration under Mojave, so iMove won't start. But if I force to Intel card, what can do the 3D acceleration the iMovie works fine. So I guess while is not written a special driver for AMD 6xxxx series, is useless for iMovie under Mojave and higher ... Maybe if someone has the same problem, this info can be useful :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.