iMovie on the new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JerTheGeek, Mar 10, 2015.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Anyone think that doing editing in iMovie, like for YouTube videos, would work good? Would it be a downgrade from a 13" baseline 2014 Air, or would it be a similar experience?

2. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

It may be a downgrade from those listed above in terms of CPU performance and a little GPU performance in general. But when it comes to using iMovie, import times will be super fast on the new rMB as its PCIe flash is twice as fast as the PCIe based flash last year. So this machine will import and export your videos extremely fast. When it comes to the actual transcoding when exporting a video though, that is where the Pro would full ahead. By how much, I don't know (have to wait until benchmarks).

If you are editing in iMovie over FCPX though, I would of thought this machine would be more than fast enough for YouTube videos, but I think you money is better spent on the 13 inch 256GB MacBook Pro. It still has the super fast PCIe based SSDs, force touch trackpad, 8GB of RAM... But for the 100 pound more over the rMB, you're getting a larger screen, better battery life, more ports, a much better CPU and a better GPU.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Yeah I absolutely need an SD card slot. it is just mandatory for me, since I make YT vids and take pictures as well. Thanks for the insight, I really am not planning on upgrading my MacBook Air cause it is quite excellent for all the stuff I do on it; I was just curious as to how the new MB would handle iMovie. I think the MB is targeted more towards students and lighter users who maybe want to have a laptop instead of an iPad. The Pro is obviously still for professionals, and the Air is now a great all around option. The 12 inch screen would definitely be limiting for me as I pretty much use my MBA exclusively at home, thats why I like the 13 inch Air.

4. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

The only times the fan in my GF base mba 2014 kicks in seriously is when she is working in iMovie. It is the most intensive thing she does on her mba, obviously.
    I assume it won't be any better on the rMB. Rather worse and resulting in slowing down/throttling I would think.

5. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I'm amazed at my iMac when it comes to fan speed. I do a lot of heavy photo editing, banner work, video editing, 3D rendering, plus a lot of gaming such as Battlefeild 4... and I never hear my fans ramp up in speed. My fan sits ideal at 1400rpm pretty much all the time, and the temperatures stay super cool as well. Only if I've played a really heavy game such as BF4 for 2+ hours when quit the game do I hear the fans slightly louder (I don't hear them in game).