iMovie or hardware issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FDXGlenn, Apr 18, 2010.

1. FDXGlenn macrumors newbie

I have a question for my MacFriends...

MacBook Pro / iMovie question.. I was working in iMovie on a external/2nd monitor, finished and removed the 2nd monitor. Now when I open iMovie it does not appear on my MacBook monitor. Plus when I connect a external/2nd it does not appear there. It appears to have disappeared in about the external monitor.How can I get iMovie on my regular MacBook monitor?

2. funwithamar macrumors regular

way to fix this problem is to open the affected application and then go to the "Displays" system preferences and click the "Detect Displays" button

this should force the mac to use only the connected displays

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

This is the third thread already.

4. One thread. Do not post a thread more than once. Post a new thread in the proper forum. If the topic is relevant to more than one forum, pick the best fit or most specific forum and post it only once.

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

Has re- and disconnecting again helped?

Has deleting com.apple.iMovie8.plist in Users / YOU / Library / Preferences helped?

4. funwithamar macrumors regular

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The secondary monitor, was it set to extend or mirror your display? If it was set to extend the iMovie window is probably on the far left/right edge of your MacBook display, and you probably will only see a very thing outline of the frame. You can try to drag that back into the center of the display, but if you cannot you will need to delete/move to Trash the com.apple.iMovie.plist found in ~/Library/Preferences; this file, in addition to serving a few other purposes, logs the position of the application on the display. Make sure that you get rid of it while the iMovie application is closed, and then log out, and then back into your user account. When you relaunch iMovie the window should appear in the viewable area of the display.