iMovie or upgrade to Final Cut

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I thought it was worth going to Final Cut Express. If you decide to go this route wait. There will be a new version out in a few months that will be a Universal Binary (and probably add new features etc). If you buy now you will not get a free upgrade...

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
If you take the time to learn the new system, yes, it's worth it. If you don't have the time / don't want to learn, stick with the simplicity of iMovie.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
If you have the available $, are willing to enter in to a much steeper learning curve while taking your video editing to another level, by all means, go for it!

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Im in the same boat as you. I've been using iMovie but am thinking about switching to Final Cut, and probably will. I took classes on it and it seems very much worth it.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
go for express, final cut is a pro app and if your just doing basic editing of family movies but want more control, express is for you. I have express and for my needs now its great. The price is right and not 1300....

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
I think the express way is the best way to go in your position. If your life depends on it (your job) then I would say, go for the full blown thing, but you can get logic for $300 (edu is less) and then upgrade to the full version later for the same cost as the full version in the first place (additional $700 for the upgrade, $1000 new)

anyway, not sure about an upgrade for fcexpress, either way, you save a lot of money.

my .02

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
whats the difference between express and pro..... what can't you do in express that you can do in pro? I never notice and limitations... just less transitions etc:confused:

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
puckhead193 said:
whats the difference between express and pro..... what can't you do in express that you can do in pro? I never notice and limitations... just less transitions etc:confused:
yep, basically the same thing, same layout and everything, just crippled a little for a nice tansition between pro and imovie.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
puckhead193 said:
You can't set keyframes on effects (or something similar it's been a few months since I used my copy) but you can in Pro. Less RT stuff too iirc.

yoak

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
You can view multiple cameras at the same time in FCP, great for TV procuvtions or big budget movies.
It also supports more recording formats than FCE, and more....
I don´t think FCE supports the new Prosumer HD camera from Panasonic for example