iMovie performance iPad2 vs iPad 3rd gen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nzlucas, Mar 21, 2012.

1. nzlucas macrumors member

Hi all,

I am considering a new iPad and and my only sticking point now is about the actual performance of the 3rd gen when it comes to editing movies. My 1st gen iPad is un able to edit 1080p video my iPhone 4s puts out, now since the actual processor is no stronger in the 3rd gen from 2nd gen does the extra GPU and RAM that the 3rd gen have make a noticeable difference when using avid studio or iMovie?

If there is no big difference maybe I could just pick up a cheap iPad 2 since I think the screen is fine?

Thanks in advance for any replies #

2. tmoerel macrumors 6502

As movies on the iPad are encoded in h264 and that h264 encoding and decoding is done by the GPU (graphics processor) it should be no problem as the GPU in the new iPad is lots and lots faster.

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

The following video will help:

The entire playlist is available here.

4. eq2675 macrumors regular

5. RelentlessFruit macrumors newbie

Personally I haven't noticed any difference in use between the iPad 2 & 3 when it comes to iMovie.

When actually putting a clip together the 3 doesn't feel any faster and nor does an export to 1080p.

In theory a 3 might be quicker but I certainly didn't notice any difference at all and if I didn't want or need the new display then an iPad 2 would certainly suffice.

One thing I would say, given the 3 has double the RAM you may notice improved performance if your multi-tasking and switching between iMovie and iPhoto for example. I've only just started playing with iPhoto so can't make a comparison.

However, don't underestimate how much better the new screen is - especially if you're going to be working with hi-res photos or video :D

6. urkel macrumors 68030

I have kids so I've made a dozen or so iMovie's on both iPads. But to be honest I find iMovie to be too slow for either iPad. Both iPad 2 and 3 suffer from a delay when trimming/moving files around, shooting video into iMovie was a much slower process than simply shooting in the camera app then importing and the new "Trailers" thing is cute but complete file bloat because they're pure novelty (iMovie.app went from >100MB to 430MB).

I'm not slamming the software because it's decent and all, but I do feel that the current hardware really isn't ideal for video editing just yet.

7. OSMac, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

OSMac macrumors 65816

The screen is worth the upgrade.

I tried importing some 1080p camcorder video,
    It played fine in the photo app but does not work in iMovie.

Will try some other settings.

8. RelentlessFruit macrumors newbie

I'm not sure that's correct?

I can happily export iMovie clips @ 1080P to the camera roll. The latest update added 1080P handling.

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

Thanks for posting...

It seems dependant on the source material,
    when I tried it I had just 720P video on the timeline
    it did not offer 1080P output,
    but I just added a full res image to the timeline and now it offers 1080P as well.

I stand corrected.

10. nzlucas, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

nzlucas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replies so far, especially the video as I was wondering specially about avid studio. I bought it on a whim and its good but suffers badly on the iPad 1 from not enough power.

I can see the RAM being the thing that swings it and I think with avid studio that would help. Hmm decisions decisions.

11. cfs macrumors 6502a

When you shoot form your iPad and edit on your iPad does it still suffer delay?