imovie photo quality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by josta, Jul 26, 2007.

1. josta macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    I am making a slide show for my brother's rehearsal dinner. My plan was to make 2 slideshows in iphoto (one for him, one for his fiance), then import them into imovie. Then I could add transition clips etc inbetween them. I would then export them to idvd to burn.
    The problem I have run into is that I lose some photo quality when I import the slideshow from iphoto into imovie. These are old photos, so the quality isn't great to begin with, and I hate to lose even more. I have tried importing the photos separately, but I still feel like I am losing quality. Do I need to do anything to adjust the quality of photos in either iphoto or imovie?

Is there another way to do this? I would import them directly into idvd, but I haven't found a way to make the 2 slidshows play back to back...ie I would have to press a button to go to the next slideshow. This is also going to be shown on the bus to the wedding, so it need to be "control free"
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

How do you import iPhoto slideshows into iMovie? Do you use the export command of iPhoto? If so, try iPhoto: Share->iDVD. That will generate a .mov file in your Movies folder and start iDVD, but you can close iDVD afterwards. Then you can just drag and drop that .mov file into iMovie and stitch them together. If you have QT Pro, you could probably do the stitching without the intermediate step of iMovie. VLC, which is free, might merge two movie files as well, but I am not certain.

The quality of the photos of the slideshows will probably not be as good as the originals, but at the TV resolution of about 720 by 540 (or 640 by 480), that is probably the best they can look.

3. josta thread starter macrumors member

that's a good idea...exporting to idvd then just using the .mov file it makes. I hadn't thought of it that way. I just exported it as a .mov file into my movies folder, so I'll see if your way improves clarity.

4. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort

yeah is there a way to fix this? so frusterating