iMovie Playback Choppy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monkeydax, Nov 22, 2013.

1. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Hey,

I got my 15" rMBP about 2 weeks back, but recently tried creating a project on iMovie. I am currently using the base model and I realised that when I create a very movie using photos (10-12 photos) from my photo album, using the comic book theme, and try playing back as a preview (without exporting), the playback is very unacceptably choppy. This issue is not existent once exported.

Can those out there try it out and let me know if they experience the same thing? Would love to hear from the rMBP owners with DGPU too to determine if it's a GPU issue or just...an overall issue.

Thanks in advance!

2. AirThis macrumors 6502a

I tried for fun with my 2012 rmbp using Mavericks. I plopped in a couple of pictures and inserted some transitions with the "comic book" theme. I got the following results:

iMovie 9.09 - Very minor lag using discrete graphics.
    iMovie 10 - butter smooth, absolutely no lag whatsoever using discrete graphics.

I couldn't try on integrated because it wouldn't let me switch with gfxcardstatus.

3. monkeydax thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm just from the preview window (or in full screen preview?)?

Any users of the 13" or 15" base / with 750m who has similar feedback?

4. AirThis macrumors 6502a

It seems to make no difference whether in full screen mode or just the preview window. The result is identical from what I can see.

I also tried with some hi res images and it does not affect the performance of the transitions.