iMovie plug-ins?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iChrisToffee, Feb 22, 2009.

1. iChrisToffee macrumors newbie

Is there any such plug-ins for iMovie such as , extra transitions, extra text effects etc etc please get in touch !

iCT

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Which version?

iMovie 6 HD has hundreds of plugins available, but it can no longer be had without purchasing iLife '06.

iMovie '08 does not support plugins at all, and iMovie '09 does not yet, but it seems like it could in the future.

3. iChrisToffee thread starter macrumors newbie

The latest.. iMovie 09'
    thats a shame has anyone got any other software that is just as good as iMovie and can i have the link? and how can i export my videos as .avi files etc because they always export as .m4v :S help please!

iCT

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The next step up from iMovie is Final Cut Express, which is not free but well worth it.

Why do you want to export as .avi? It's a dead format, h.264 .mp4/.m4v are much better quality for the size.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

This is inaccurate information.

AVI is not a format, but merely a file container, much like MOV. And as such, AVI is still in wide use on Windows platforms. The underlying video codec (H.264, MPEG-2, etc.) is the actual video format.

iChrisToffee,

Is there a specific reason you want to export as AVI? iMovie cannot do this. If you're using the Quicktime export option in iMovie, you should be getting MOV files instead of M4V (it should only export M4V if you're using the iPod export option).

If you really do need AVI files for whatever reason, you could use an application like MPEG Streamclip (it's free, just Google it) to convert your output files.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, I am well aware that avi is a container file that could contain any number of codecs. I am also well aware that it is still in somewhat widespread use on Windows, however, its life is going to be short lived as there are fewer and fewer products supporting it (aside from computers) as well as being able to get better quality from smaller files with other formats.

7. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

So what's the dirt on iMovie09? I've been brushing up on web stuff and haven't had time to browse through here in a while... any big issues? I'm thinking of getting into it just for family movies and stuff.

8. iChrisToffee thread starter macrumors newbie

i basically need to upload quite a few videos onto a video hosting site but thing is Youtube is the only video hoster that actually allows .m4v files but i dont want to put them on a youtube channel, there not exciting there just clan battles for xbox live, (favour for my brother) and i will try exporting wioth quicktime then uploading to websites like photobucket see if that will work :) thank you though. great help ! iCT

9. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

10. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

And there I was considering upgrading to 2009 for my mammoth 10 years of family video footage to edit marathon.

Does G3 do Star wars light sabres? :confused:

11. franklilly macrumors newbie

to convert files to avi

download MPEG stream clip - you can google it it is free, you can batch convert many movies at a time and it will convert under the batch option to all kinds of formats, it is the greatest software. Imovie 09 is awful by the way ..compared to 06 it blows.