iMovie problem: clip dates grossly wrong...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VoodooDaddy, Aug 9, 2007.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I havent really tried out imovie yet, so I opened it tonight and it said it needed to create thumbnails of the video clips Id imported into iphoto. So I let it do that, but after it was done I was suprised to see the date it had beside all the clips, thursday Dec 31, 1903

These clips are tagged by the correct date in photo. There are 2 batches of them that were taken months apart, yet all of them have this same date. How do I change the date? IDK that it makes much difference but it just bugs me. Is there a way to delete the thumbs in imovie and have them re-imported somehow?

Attached Files:

2. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

I deleted all the clips from within iphoto, thinking if I re-imported them into iphoto and let imovie generate new thumbs it might fix the problem. Nope.

I imported 2 video clips taken on Feb 06 2007 into iphoto. When I opened imovie the thumbs were generated and the date still Dec 31 1903. :rolleyes:

3. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

Just another example, I hope someone can figure this out for me. I randomly chose 2 video clips from my computer and imported them into iphoto. The dates are correct in iphoto as seen by the screen cap.

I open imovie, its says it needs to create thumbs, so I let it. Again, same thing with the date, Dec 31 1903. What gives?????

Attached Files:

4. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

Bump

Anyone else run into this problem or and ANY idea why iMovie is adding this date to my video clips?

5. mzd macrumors 6502a

i used iMovie for the first time last night. i imported some dv. the event date was correct, but video library shows 2006.

6. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Anyone find a solution to this? I am finding that I am running into the same exact problem. All my dates from iphoto clips are Dec 31, 1903. Has there been any fix?

Kan-O-Z

7. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Am I the only one with this problem or has anyone else been experiencing this?

Kan-O-Z

8. jet lagged macrumors newbie

I have the same problem.

I've collected TONS of small video clips from my digital camera over the years, and organized them by date into individual folders on my Windows PC. I finally bought an iMac last week (the 24" 2.8GHz model... it's SWEET!) and began importing my 100+Gb collection of clips into iMovie last night. The import into iMovie worked great... the clips preserved their original dates.... but iMovie forced me to import one folder at a time. Which was really quite tedious, because I often create one folder per day/event.

So I thought... why not import the clips into iPhoto instead? This worked really well... iPhoto lets me import a nested hierarchy of photos and automatically creates events based on the file date instead of asking me every time... I wish iMovie did this too. But when I access those clips in iMovie the displayed date is incorrect. Such a bummer!

Also, iMovie displays all the iPhoto videos in one folder instead of grouping them by event. Why break the paradigm here?

9. bkells macrumors newbie

10 steps to correcting date in iMovie Events? will it work for you I don't know?

I seemed to have good results with the following:

1) Copy iMovie files to desktop
    2) Delete iMovie files
    3) Delete Cache folder AND Thumbnail folders in the desktop file you copied
    4) Use the program "A Better Finder Attributes" to perform date changes
    5) include subfolders and their contents if needed.
    6) go back to folder on desktop and CHANGE name of files. Be sure not to include any /,<>\|#$@*~! etc.... they really screw up iMovie, because the program has bugs. really not the best program, and I love macs........
    7) Then go to iMovie, go to file, create a new event, naturally it will come up as the present year.
    8) open your desktop folder and drag the individual .mov clips that are re-dated, re-named etc... into the new event with correct year.
    9) it should work, but if you included some bogus /\><$@# symbols in the name of your video, iMovie could freak out and create it's own "phantom" date for you. lovely right!!!
    10) all these steps just to make the date right on iMovie, we haven't actually got any work done yet, how depressing
    11) Good Night
    12) oh by the way, I have no idea what I'm doing, and no idea which of these steps is the one that worked, or why they worked, but in the end it worked! oh, wait, I didn't actually accomplish anything yet.......