iMovie problem: How to get rid of white space at bottom when editing widescreen clip

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Risu-chan14, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Risu-chan14 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have slightly complex problem as I begin my first attempts at using iMovie.
    I am trying to make a music video in iMovie using clips from a television show that I have on my computer. The show's episodes are in AVI format, so I've been dragging and dropping them into Quicktime and then saving them as MOV files. Then I import those MOV files into iMovie so they can be edited.

Unfortunately, the television show that I am using is in widescreen (HD aspect ratio?) format and does not take up the entire video editing window in iMovie.
    Somewhere in the process of importing the AVI files into Quicktime and saving them as MOV files, a large blank white space is being added to the bottom of the video screen where the movie should be if it weren't a widescreen video. (I assume the video is in widescreen, but I don't really know the technical term for it...what I mean is that it takes up the top three-fourths of the editing window and whatever window I am watching the video in.)

I want to get rid of that blank white space at the bottom of my clips in iMovie. Is there a way, in iMovie or Quicktime, to possible center the video on the screen and fill the top and bottom with black so that my video isn't on the top of the screen with a big white strip at the bottom? I think this is called letterboxing? Sorry for my lack of technical video editing terms and such, but hopefully there's someone here who can understand what I'm talking about. Maybe there's a way to change the aspect ratio of the video edit screen in iMovie? I don't want to have to stretch the video vertically or chop off parts of it or anything. I just can't stand having to make a movie with a big white thing attached to the bottom.

Thank you to anyone who is willing to help me! Bear in mind that I do not want to have to buy Final Cut or Quicktime Pro to solve this problem.
    ~Risu

2. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

Are you using iMovie '08 or iMovie '06. '08 has a star as its icon, and '06 has the movie slip symbol as its icon. I think you are just trying to change the format from fullscreen to widescreen. To do this in iMovie '08, go to File, Project Properties. In '06, you can change the format when make a new movie. (it will ask you what to name your new project and you click on the triangle for a drop down menu to change the format)