imovie problems

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gonkboy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Gonkboy macrumors newbie

I have an avi file I want of my band playing live. I want to split it up into separate songs. I tried importing it to imovie and it didn't work. I then converted the file to MP4 and it still wouldn't import. I'm a total noob and don't know what i'm doing wrong.
    Please help.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

4. Gonkboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I have to uninstall the convertor I used earlier and download another convertor. What a waste of time.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That will take you about 5 minutes. If that's too long, then don't bother, just live with the problem.

6. carlgo macrumors 68000

I've noticed that some people get very testy whenever the subject of converters and iMovie comes up. They get mad when people get mad about the need to deal with all this in what should be an up to date program.

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I've successfully imported avi files into iMovie.

An avi file is a container for video and audio files. These files can be created using any number of codecs. If the codec used is not one that is recognised by your computer, then it won't be read, despite the fact that it can read other avi files.

simsaladimbamba gave the solution, but it looks like that is too much trouble for the OP.

8. simsaladimbamba

Do you remember what codecs did work with .avi files and iMovie?

9. Gonkboy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be honest with you, I do resent the fact I have to uninstall a program, install another one just so I can convert a file into a format to use in a program that is supposed to be user friendly. However this resentment is not aimed at any of the posters and I appreciate their help. I don't have time to download programs, convert files, etc. I want a program that works straight away. I thought that was what I would get for spending $1300 on a mac. Instead I got a media player that doesn't play any of the files I have (thank the lord for VLC), and a video making software that doesn't accept the format that all my videos are in.

10. simsaladimbamba

iMovie is not made to accept every codec and format out there, no application is, that would seriously degrade their quality.

If you can't find the time to let the computer transcode your footage over night via MPEG Streamclip and its Batch List function, then by all means, look for another application. I don't know of any, maybe Premiere Pro / Elements can help.

Btw, you don't need to follow the complete uninstall instructions you refer to, just drag the damn application to the Trash. Done.

And if you don't have time to download MPEG Streamclip, which is 1.3/4 MB, which would take less than three minutes with ISDN, then better not edit at all, as editing highly compressed footage will bring down your CPU, and thus include waiting times.

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes I don't get these attitudes, especially when your first post included this:
    If you don't want to do it properly, don't do it at all. END.

11. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

There's an app on the Mac App Store called "SmartConverter", that's always done the trick for me.

12. simsaladimbamba

What preset have you used to convert what format into what format to get the resulting file into iMovie? That application only offers MPEG-4 codec variants as output, which would result in another transcoding process during import into iMovie.
    You could just use MPEG Streamclip_ for that and save yourself one transcoding process and time (which the OP doesn't have, not even for attaching a screenshot according to him/her).

13. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Sorry, I don't even know what codecs there are, let alone which ones work with iMovie. :D

14. carlgo macrumors 68000

iMovie should just work for what you are doing. You should not have to know what codecs are, get third-party software, get all nerdy about this sort of project.

I've been all over the internet in anticipation of getting a camera with video and there are a lot of questions and confusion out there. You aren't the only one. Apple likely will address these issues, but you know that they sometimes go on to other things for awhile.

15. simsaladimbamba

Too many codecs.
    I understand that completely, and my editing background probably helps me a lot with all the codecs out there, but since there are so many codecs out there, one can't expect one application to be able to read all available codecs, just because people want to use .avi files with iMovie.
    Not even professional video editing applications support importing all formats and codecs.

And one does not get to be nerdy when it comes to codecs, one can simply learn to understand, that there are countless of codecs out there, and that many are simply not supported by every application. If one cannot spend the time to learn such things, which can be learned in less than five minutes via a search engine, then of course, frustration will be happy to assist that fella.

Apple will probably not address such issues, but if you get a camcorder, that uses AVCHD or another MPEG-4 variant, you can almost always import the footage into iMovie.
    If you are looking for a P&S or DSLR or similar photo camera, that has video recording capabilities, then it gets more complicated, as the video recording features are an add-on most of the time, thus no really easy format and system to import the footage has been employed. And as modern video recording capable cameras also use an MPEG-4 codec variant, it will again be problematic to simply import those files in iMovie.
    And another problem is the audio, sometimes it gets properly embedded using no compression, sometimes it gets embedded using compression, and sometimes that audio codec can also be the source of the problem, when importing to iMovie.

In other words, due to the ****ing plethora of codecs and vendors, and the ****ing incapability of these vendors to agree on one or two universal formats, the customer is being ****ed.

Anyway, MPEG Streamclip is a very good and free tool to transcode almost any format to an iMovie compatible format, and if one still has problems using such applications, answers are just a search away.

And in order to find out, what video and audio codec a video uses, you can use the following:

PS: Currently I am importing a .mov file recorded with the Canon EOS 5D II, the video is compressed with the H.264 codec, which is a codec Apple supports. The audio is uncompressed, thus almost all video editing applications support that too.
    After that import finished, I tried an .mp4/.m4v file I transcoded with HandBrake from a video DVD using MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) as video codec and MP3 (lame) as audio codec.
    iMovie wouldn't let me import that.
    After that, I tried the same clip/title from the video DVD and now used AAC as audio codec (supported audio codec in iTunes). Guess what, iMovie could import that video file, and it was not due to the video codec, as it still was the MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) codec and not H.264 (an MPEG-4 codec variant).
    And now I also tried it via MPEG Streamclip and used the x.264 codec for video and Uncompressed for audio, iMovie couldn't import that either.

Too Long To Read:
    There is an abundance of video and audio formats and codecs (to compress video and audio and save storage space), don't expect any application to support all of them. Learning some basics about video and audio formats and codecs can be done via searching the world wide web of information in fifteen minutes. If that time is too much for someone, who wants to use a tool (iMovie is a tool) and use it properly, why bother learning anything?

Example: Which file types does iMovie 09 accept?

16. simsaladimbamba

Connect your TV and open iMovie and see, if there are any of the missing windows/object displayed on the TV and drag them onto your primary screen.