iMovie Project will not open.

bigmac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
I had an iMovie project I was working on, but I needed to free up space on my hard drive. I moved some old projects to my external hard drive, but not the one I was working on.

I went into iMovie after the move, and all of the projects were gone including the one I left on my hard drive. When I go to finder and look under "iMovie Projects" I see the project I am working on, but when I click on it, nothing happens. I am not sure what to do, and I am very worried I lost the ability to open and work on the project. Any help would be great. Thanks

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Did you also move the media/events? Looks like your project is pointing to a directory you have moved or deleted.

bigmac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
I did move events, but I kept the event of the project I am working on, and I do see that event in iMovie. It is just the project that seems to be missing. Could the problem possibly be related to the fact that I created folders in my external hard drive titled "iMovie Projects" and ''iMovie Events'' as well, and iMovie is confused?

bigmac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
I tried that, still nothing. If I click on the project file in the finder, iMovie will open, but once iMovie is open, no project opens. Very frustrating!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.