Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Hi,

I'll start off by saying I am a huge mac newbie so please be gentle lol.

I want to know if my macbook pro runs out of space while imovie is recording will it finalise itself or will it wait until I finalise it myself?
It will be connected to power.

Also, what if the macbook isn't connected to power & imovie is recording will it finalise before the mac shuts down?

Thanks a lot :)

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
By "recording" do you mean importing, exporting or sharing video? Either way, if you run out of hard drive space then things will come to a stop.

Secondly, you don't have to finalize a Project. All that does is create a copy of your Project at every resolution possible, and make them available to other Apps via the Media Browser. If you don't need that, then just Share or Export your Project.

Natboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
By recording I mean, "open camera import window" & then "click capture to begin recording video into iMovie"

So what happens when it is recording & runs out of space?
Also how do I cut the bits of the video I want out & then save them to a folder on my mac?
Thank you :)

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
So what happens when it is recording & runs out of space?
Things will come to a stop. It can't import if there's nowhere to store it. How much free space do you have on your hard drive? A minimum of 10% of it's capacity is recommended for the smooth running of your Mac. It's also recommended to use an external drive for video editing to prevent unnecessary wear and tear on the internal drive.

Also how do I cut the bits of the video I want out & then save them to a folder on my mac?
Sorry, don't take this the wrong way, but it would be far better for you to learn how to do this by working through iMovie Help. There are tutorials in there that cover most of what you need to do. All I could do to help would be just copy and paste what's in there.

Natboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Thanks for that. To be honest, I find it really hard to understand apple help.
It may as well be in chinese.
I have 64% free.
So it won't save the video if I run out of space?
Thanks again
Nat

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
So it won't save the video if I run out of space?
Where would it save it to??

64% free should be OK depending on how big your HDD is. You don't say what format your camcorder records video in, but remember that iMovie converts your video to the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC) or Digital Video(DV), which will take 10-12Gb per hour for standard definition footage.

Natboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Where would it save it to??

64% free should be OK depending on how big your HDD is. You don't say what format your camcorder records video in, but remember that iMovie converts your video to the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC) or Digital Video(DV), which will take 10-12Gb per hour for standard definition footage.

Ok cool thanks. I thought it might finalise itself before it runs out of space similar to what my cam corder does
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.