Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarciMellow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
For the record... this is day 1 with my new MacBook and have JUST started playing with iMovie.

I have a video from my recent vacation that I have been playing with and have been selecting segments from it for my video. But when I try to play what I have already picked, it in the upper right video box, it doesn't play.

Will it play your edited segments?

Thanks for being patient with me already :) I haven't used Mac in a while and LOVE my new MacBook already!!!

trev

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Hey,

Since your new to mac, I'm assuming your using iLive '08? Im my personal opinion, I hate iMovie '08. I strongly recommend using iMovie '06. It's far more options and a way easier to use interface... again, in my opinion. I find iMovie '08 is only good for slapping short clips together with limited knowledge. Anyway, moarl of the story... if your using iMovie '08, switch to iMovie '06 and you should find that all your problems are solved. it's free to download below.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
Hey,

Since your new to mac, I'm assuming your using iLive '08? Im my personal opinion, I hate iMovie '08. I strongly recommend using iMovie '06. It's far more options and a way easier to use interface... again, in my opinion. I find iMovie '08 is only good for slapping short clips together with limited knowledge. Anyway, moarl of the story... if your using iMovie '08, switch to iMovie '06 and you should find that all your problems are solved. it's free to download below.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

dont you mean iLife 08????

but I agree '06 is far better than the new iMovie

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
wow! I did not know you could download iMovie HD for frs (if you already have 08) Now, if I do this, do I lose iMovie 08, or do I have both HD and 08?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
It should work just fine. I have made several movies with iMovie 08 and although i do not have any experience with the previous version, love it.

When you drag the imported clips into your new project you should see them in your preview window. Are they there? Using the spacebar in that clip activates play and you should see it playing.

Apple.com has some great tutorials. I would watch a few of those.

MarciMellow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
It should work just fine. I have made several movies with iMovie 08 and although i do not have any experience with the previous version, love it.

When you drag the imported clips into your new project you should see them in your preview window. Are they there? Using the spacebar in that clip activates play and you should see it playing.

Apple.com has some great tutorials. I would watch a few of those.

It is like frozen on the first slide and doesn't move. No wheels or anything. The spacebar moves the red line across the clips but i don't get a preview.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Wow that is strange. What type of video file is it? Just standard DV? Do you see all the clips down below in the " events browser"?

MarciMellow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Wow that is strange. What type of video file is it? Just standard DV? Do you see all the clips down below in the " events browser"?

Yes I can see the events that I pull to the bottom (for a larger workspace, I flipped it). It will pay the original clip in the preview box and when i push spacebar, but it wont play the selected clips. Am I missing something?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
You have stumped my limited knowledge on the application I believe. What sort of camera are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.