iMovie rendering problems: Rapidly Losing Faith In Mac Entirely

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CheesyMac, Jul 12, 2007.

1. CheesyMac macrumors newbie

CheesyMac

Why can't my pictures render in iMovie?

When I apply a Ken Burns effect to them, they just sit there in the timeline and never render.

I recently had to have my iMac G5's Logic Board completely replaced because it was shot (the computer was barely 4 months old, so you can see how I might be getting tired of Mac problems).

Prior to the Logic Board going to hell, I never had any problems rendering images in iMovie.

I've tried all the fixes recommended to other posters here who've had the same problem (repairing disk permissions, emptying iMovie's trash, saving, quiting, restarting, etc.) but nothing works.

Honestly, I am really getting sick of encountering so many problems with my, as advertised, "carefree," "easy to use" iMac.

It seems I spend more time searching for answers and troubleshooting than I actually do using the computer.

Can somebody PLEASE help me before I take a hammer to this thing?

2. msharpmu macrumors regular

This same thing happened to me about a week ago. What happened is that I canceled an accidental render of all my pictures. Something weird happened and I could not apply the Ken Burns effect to any of my pictures. I could only change the length. Anyways, I was doing a real small project so I started over. Never had a problem since.

I think iMovie makes a file that is associated with the picture. If you cancel a render like I did it moves the file to the trash while still leaving the picture link in the timeline. I don't know if this makes cense but it is the only explanation that i have.

Sorry dude.

3. rlandrigan macrumors newbie

Does this happen in a new movie? If not, then you have a corrupt project file, and you need to start fresh with a new project.

Also - what version of quicktime are you on? Run software update and make that's up to date.

Another possibility is to make a new user, and see if it happens when logged in as that user...

4. CheesyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

CheesyMac

This happened on the first brand new project I started after getting my computer back from having the Logic Board replaced.

I added about a dozen photos (all without any Ken Burns effects) and I highlighted them all, added an overlap transition, then went to add another photo, this time with a Ken Burns effect, and that's when it hung up. I went back, deleted all transitions, still, Burns effects hang up. I created a brand new project, added one photo with the Burns effect, it hangs up.

Either something is royally screwed up, or it's a quick fix. Problem is, I don't know if I have the patience to spend hours researching a problem that never happened before the Logic Board was replaced, and a problem that should never happen at all with such an "easy to use" computer.

All I bought this thing for was to make movies. This is absolutely ridiculous. I've had just as many, if not more, problems with this Mac in the short time I've owned it as I've had with any PC in the past.

I really appreciate your responses, and hope to get more, as this really is frustrating. I'm trying not to hate Macintosh, but they're not making it easy on me.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

help

First of all, it's one goddamn program. Don't bitch about Mac computing as a whole solely based on iMovie and bad luck with one logic board.

That being said, all issues I've had with iMovie have been fixed by trashing the plist file.

Go to your user folder, the library and preferences. Find the file labeled something like "com.apple.imovie.plist" and trash it. If you find any more files with imovie in the name in the preference folder, trash them too.

Then try whatever you're doing in a new project.

6. CheesyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

CheesyMac

I tried the plist removal, but still, nothing. Same problems with the rendering. I was really hoping that would work, too, because I desperately wanted to get something useful out of your reply, MacRetailGuy.

Like I said above, all I bought this computer for was to make movies. The websites, the articles, the commercials, they all said how much better a Mac and iMovie was than a PC for making movies. Heck I remember one commercial in particular, where the Mac kid says he was out of the box and making movies in minutes. He didn't mention anything about deleting preference files or scouring the internet for information about a problem that puts a complete stop to any movie making in the first place.

I plunked down over $2Grand on this thing. And within the first four months I had to get a (in the words of the Apple Store employee themselves) "major repair" done when my logic board went to hell. And now, THE "one g**damn program" used for making movies is acting up?

I think I've earned the right to b*tch a little bit, don't you?

"That being said," I haven't been able to use the computer since Tuesday. It's now Sunday. I've been spending all my free time searching for answers and explanations for this rendering problem online.

Can somebody PLEASE help me?

7. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Cheesy,

Go to your homefolder and empty the caches in the Library.

So go : Homefolder/Library/Caches and empty everything in the Caches folder.

Send to trash, then empty Trash.

Hope that works

8. FireArse macrumors 6502a

hhmmm

Take your machine back to your nearest Apple Store and show them the issue. Perhaps a Trainer can help you. Otherwise (and you have every reason to bitch) ask for a Lead Genius and tell him/her what you just posted.

Tell them that as a switching customer you're not satisfied and that there must be something better the Lead Genius can do.

Lemons are a bitch - you deserve a better experience. Ask the Lead Genius for one.

F

9. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Also, don't forget you can try other free programs to accomplish your task.

Avid FreeDV might work better for you.

10. CheesyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

CheesyMac

MacAficionado,

I tried your suggestion about removing the cache files (well, the iMovie files within my user/cache folder, at least) and it worked right away.

Thanks!

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief and get back to enjoying the computer.

11. dmband macrumors newbie

IMOVIE Rendering Problems

I too am having rendering problems with photos.
    Every photo I bring into the timeline, stays in rendering mode. I can preview the ken burns effect but it wont work when I watch the movie.

Just to confirm its rendering, I tray and save the project which advises that the photo is currently rendering and I cant save project without cancelling the rendering.

This happens with a new project, and only 1 PHOTO! It gets stuck on rendering.

I've cleared the cache, but sit still doesnt work. I tried a new user accaount, still the same problems!

Any help??????

12. Saige macrumors newbie

I'm so glad I found this thread!! I'm having the same issue.

I am also another new Mac user. I just bought an iMac with upgraded video card and 2GB RAM. Every time I try to render a photo in iMovie it won't render. However, it renders movie clips (from my Canon powershot camera) just fine. It also renders transitions ok. It's only happening to my photos. We though maybe the size of the photo was just too large because I also have a Canon Rebel SLR and take pictures on the largest setting. We tried with a resized very small photo and it still would not render the photo.

We tried delete the application and put a fresh copy of it from the install disks that came with the computer, nothing. We tried to wipe the computer clean and reinstall tiger (as a clean install) and still nothing changed. After the operating system was reinstalled we copied iMovie from my brother's in laws Mac (since it's working just fine) and the problem still has not gone away. MacAficionado's suggestion seems to have the most promise so far but wouldn't the cache file have been wiped out with the clean install?

I'm going to still try what MacAficionado suggested and worked for CheesyMac, I'll be back to update everybody. If not, I might need some help, too.

:(

I'm trying hard to love this Mac, and I do so far, but Cheesy I feel your frustration....TOTALLY!!!!

13. Saige macrumors newbie

DMBand, I wanted to ask you if this is only happening on still photos. Can you render a video clip? How about a transition? They appear to work just fine for me.

Ok, I'm off to delete the cache (and hope I don't destroy something in the meantime). ;)

14. Saige macrumors newbie

Ok, here's what worked for me...

It was as simple as running a SOFTWARE UPDATE. Ran it, now it works. My BIL said he was researching on some Mac forums and we tried it and VOILA!! This is a very interesting problem and it's all across the board. Just wanted to add my .02 cents for anybody having this problem. Maybe the software update will also be your fix it. :)

p.s. I got my computer a week ago and the FIRST thing we did was to run software updates. I had created a movie a couple days later. So, this problem happened THAT quickly. I guess it pays to check for updates regularly!

15. sistasallysue macrumors newbie

Thanks!

You're a genius and I love MACS!
    I was having the same problem, and it fixed it right away. It was for a christmas present! WOOT!

16. SamisntHappy macrumors newbie

I am experiencing the same crap. I have tried everything suggested but run the upgrade... which I guess I don't know how to do. When I went through Mac support it appeared as though I would have to pay for an upgrade... um I paid a *****load of money for this PC I shouldn't have to pay.
    The sad thing about all this, is that I work with IT for a living. I should be able to figure this out.:mad:

17. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Ummm, apple menu and select "software update" and you get all updates that have not been done. You probably have already done this though, but maybe not? We are talking software update, not upgrade. That you would have to pay for but shouldn't be necessary.

18. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nice try, but...

Excellent work.

19. Peter.lavin macrumors newbie

Rendering in Imovie 6

Like many others Imovie 6 suddenly it has decided not to render Themes or still photo's.
    I have removed caches & .plst and even reinstalled the application again, no luck. Some one some where must know the answer.

20. wpickett41 macrumors newbie

Another approach

I was having the same problem and basically did all the things suggested above but when I applied KBE to a photo, the photo was removed and the screen went black. The KBE preview worked fine but not the application.

I discovered that the project needed to be in the Movies folder. I use basically a shared hard drive on my PC to store photos and videos. When I applied the KBE to project saved in that remote hard drive, the above problem arose. I now work on the project in the Movies folder and when finished move it to the remote folder. I reason i use the remote folder on a second hard drive on the PC is that I use Carbonite for automatic online backup.

Anyway, the problem went away when I worked in the Movies folder on the I-Mac.

21. judymacd macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with the rendering of photos using the Ken Burns effect as well... I've gone into the Home/Library/Caches -- and I see alot of folders that are the same as the applications I have (ie. iDVD; iPhoto; iChat), etc. Is it really OK to delete everything in this "cache" folder? It doesn't affect any of the functioning of the software? I hate deleting things in case its the wrong thing... I'm really needing to make a slideshow with the photos, so will try anything, and I have no Mac Pros around here... thanks.

22. Peter.lavin macrumors newbie

Rendering problems

I have just about given up on this problem .. it is due to upgrading QuickTime 7.5.
    I am now going to buy an external firewire hard disc and install my OS 10.4 which came with the computer. I hope to start up from the external HD which will take me back to the time when it all worked OK

23. Peter.lavin macrumors newbie

24. pgb macrumors newbie

The answer!

Peter.lavin, you were right. Quicktime was the problem. plist files, new user, clearing cache all didn't work, but running software update and installing Quicktime 7.5.5 has finally fixed this problem.

Amazing that this thread was started over a year ago! The Quicktime upgrade fixes the mid-2008 version of the problem :)

Back up and running and very happy. Hope this info helps someone else.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

OP i dont think your thinking it out rationally, you cannot base your whole OSX experience based on some small issues. i think you jumped to conclusions too fast, i would never diss apple so long as they are still working perfectly.

i had a patch of problems a while back when i would get grey screens every coupla hours and i was getting really peeved off because i kept loosing work. turned out to be a stupid LaCie drive.

what im trying to say is, everything is fixable, dont get angry at some small glitches in coding because there are always ways around it (the hardware issue is a different story, but bound to happen).