Imovie - Requirements For Fast Editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skfskf, Jul 12, 2009.

1. skfskf macrumors newbie

1st time poster, 1st time buyer. To put my purchase in context, I'm looking toward moving my entire household over to macs over the next few years. A macmini to use as media server (primarily for audio to replace a cd player) with an ipod touch to use as remote and for other purposes. Might also purchase an imac for a basement room. At this point, looking to buy a laptop and besides low power tasks (surfing the internet, etc.) will primarily use the laptop for editing home movies in imovie and for personal photos. I've spent many hours researching the forums, and I will not be doing 3-d graphics or other graphics. I understand to buy the best you can, but I don't want overkill for my needs and I understand prices will continue to fall. At the same time, I hate delay in computers and I want something that will accomplish video editing in a timely fashion. Advice on what will will fulfill my needs in a laptop for video editing as far as minimum requirements? Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Video is very processor intensive, so get the fastest you can afford. A lot of RAM helps, as well.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.26GHz MBP would be fine for you but extra power wouldn't hurt.

4. skfskf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses so far. What about the video card? Does that matter?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not really.. Only if you're doing very professional stuff and adding effect after effect. Snow Leopard has a new feature called OpenCL which unleashes the power of GPUs for normal CPU tasks, but because it's not out yet, we don't know how much it will speed up. 9400M is fine, but if you can afford 2.66GHz MBP, go for it

6. skfskf thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really tempted to buy the refurbished 15-inch 2.66ghz mbp at the apple store, but I really don't like the glossy screen. Will a similar machine without glossy ever show up at the apple store refurbished or did they ever even make such a machine without glossy?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They've pretty much dropped matte screens, only the 17" has the option.

8. skfskf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but will it be possible to purchase a refurbished one? Or is too late for such a purchase?

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

They've all been glossy since the first MBP, I think.

The new MBPs have glassy screens; they've got a glass top. They older, nonunibody ones have glossy.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You'd have to find an older, non-unibody MBP for that, and the performance difference wouldn't be worth the screen, IMO.

11. skfskf thread starter macrumors newbie

This macbook is for sale in my area. What do you think is a fair price? Thanks (this has an anti-glare screen and that is why I'm potentially interested)

MacBook Pro 15"
    Purchased New 3/08, original receipt available
    Super Excellent Condition
    Payment in Cash only, pickup only, will not ship

AppleCare agreement through 2011

Extra software:
    Office 2008 for Mac (currently $289 @ newegg)
    Windows Vista Ultimate on bootcamp (current $189 @ newegg)
    Flash Professional 8

Macbook Pro 15"
    Pentium Core 2 Duo, 2.6GHz Penryn processor 6MB L2 Cache
    4GB DDR3 Ram
    200 GB/7200 RPM Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512MB

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is 8600M GT the defective GPU? Tell us the price as well

EDIT: Yea, it the defective one. I would avoid it like plague

13. skfskf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I learned about the defect after posting. Since I want an anti-glare screen, I think I'll buy a refurbished 17-inch when the model I want appears.