iMovie Ruined My Night

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by LillieDesigns, May 12, 2007.

1. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

2 hours of editing and the thing crashes right before I save...

Out of all the iLife programs, iMovie is definately the most unstable in my experiences; it just crashes for no reason - Apple needs to implement an autosave feature in case of crashes.

I want to cry :'(

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

Thats why I save usually after every little thing I edit. Doesn't Macs have a ctrl-s feature? I always just hit that, atleast on windows.

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

Not a good thing to have happen to you, but l learnt the hard way years ago to save whatever I was working on regularly when I lost half a days work.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

:apple: - S

Never go for longer than 15 minutes without hitting it :).

5. -DH macrumors 65816

Lillie,

Sorry to hear that iMovie is giving you such a hard time. But it isn't really the program's fault that you failed to save your work, now is it. The title of your post should be "I Ruined My Night."

Go ahead and have yourself a good cry ... then learn something form this experience: save your work often.

-DH

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

OK, should the OP have saved? Sure, but don't we all forget sometimes? Good programs take into account the fact that the user forgets sometimes. I mean, even Word has an auto-recovery feature. If Apple won't put in the time to make iMovie/iDVD stable (I've had more than my share of problems with the '06 versions), they can at least have a last-resort auto-save going on behind the scenes. Certainly for the demographic iMovie is trying to target, I think it would make sense and conform to the 'it just works' philosophy Apple throws around.

7. beestigbeestje macrumors regular

It happened to me to. A couple of month's ago I was working on an animation movie, and put it together with imovie... The last night before the deadline Imovie crashed and I lost all the music that I put up... had to start all over. Nobody thinks about saving when you're concentrated like hell... I know how you feel...

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Apple+S and CTRL+S should be sworn by.

Of course iMovie is quite buggy. I've had it crash on my quite a few times for the oddest reasons. Plus sometimes it doesn't see my camera. Not too keen on it, but for quick editing it's quite useful.

9. TimJim macrumors 6502a

10. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The crash was the auto save.

The computer was telling you to save and you didn't then wammo!

really though, its sad to hear about your work all lost. This should be the one and only reminder you'll need to continually save your work.

I'll tell you what I do. Since I am worried that I may want to go back and change something after I have saved it. I save multiple copies at different stages. I think the last movie I did had 5 slightly different movies. After your done with a project you can back up everything to DVD, so really save away, save as many copies from as many different steps as you can.

12. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

I don't remember which program has an auto-save function on by default (probably Digital Performer) but when I'm working on a music project.. it auto-saves every 5 minutes. It can get annoying but it's pretty rewarding because I've done a ton of work in those 5 minutes.. the project gets saved.. and then *poof* it crashed.

13. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

Well here's the video that I did last night in case anyone was interested...

Youtube

Just as an FYI, was about 4 minutes into the actual video when iMovie crashed :mad:

Everything is dandy now, and I save after almost every step just to be sure.

14. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Every single movie app. I have worked with (both Mac and PC) has crashed at least once or twice. The bigger the project; the more prone it is to crash.

15. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I still stand by my point that having to be continuously mindful of pressing command-S is not very 'Apple-like.' The only reason I press command-S all the time is from working with Microsoft Word for years. With stuff like Core Data, it shouldn't be too hard for Apple to implement a save-as-you-edit system (ala Stickies), with the user issuing command-S for snapshots instead of saving. That would make a lot more sense to me.

16. Alican macrumors regular

Youtube has transcoded it very well. I'd like to know what video settings you used to create the file you used to updoad. Thanks.

17. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I let the computer do all the work when I do all this stuff so I'm not 100% up to snuff when it comes to technical lingo. I import from my Sony HDR-HC3 via firewire into iMovie HD, do what I need to do editing wise, and then use the "compress for CD" feature. I have notied that Youtube converts the data well, but MySpace video gets a little choppy.

Hope that helps.