iMovie settings, where to start?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KevChallis, Sep 10, 2012.

1. KevChallis macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am new on here, and new to the Apple world of desktops.

I hope somebody on here can answer my question, I have been reading through here for a while, but this is my first post.

I have been trying to make a slideshow for the in laws, of there holiday photo's, I have finished the 'project' and now wish to burn to dvd. I tried exporting as an mp4, but the 2 dvd players I tried to play it on, wouldn't play it.

So, I then changed the settings to AVI - PAL, and this played, but the quality is absolutely shocking.

So I am looking for any assistance possible.

Thank you

Kev

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Burning a DVD can be rather straightforward if you have the proper software. There is iMovie and iDVD from Apple. I would think the combination of these two should produce a "disk image" that you can then "restore" to a blank DVD and it should play just fine.

What you want to wind up with is a VIDEO_TS folder in the root of the DVD and inside that folder are files which contain your movie.

If you want an idea what things should look like, grab any dvd and insert it. Stop dvd player when it launches then take a look at the dvd in finder. A playable DVD will have similar files and folders.

Another option is paid software like toast titanium. I picked up a copy with one of those "bundles" a few years back and I used it recently to burn audio cd's from mp3 files. I noticed it also could burn dvd's.

3. KevChallis thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your reply, I was aware of iDVD, but as I just bought my mac, it doesn't ship with it anymore :(

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine