iMovie...So Lost, Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Autokon, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

Hey guys,

So yeah...like everyone else, I upgraded everything yesterday. I use iMovie quite often, but am far from a pro. I've got a LOT of events and always generally have around 20 or so projects going.

Needless to say, after the new iMovie update, I'm completely lost in what they did. I would have expected a quick video tutorial or something on start-up with this drastic of a change.

It seems like the left column now has all of our events, sorta like before, but without date sorting? However, projects can be stored inside the event now? Instead of in a separate "project" area like previously. Then, we have "all events" and "all projects" on the left column as well. Are they just filters or something for quick sorting? So, if I click all projects, it simply shows all the projects I have that are stored within each event?

And whats with the "Upgraded Projects" folder?

Incredibly lost and not knowing how to go about re-organizing my video structure here. Anybody awesome enough to clarify all of this? Youtube isn't yielding much yet in terms of a great walk through. Do I need to go into "upgraded projects" and drag them into the corresponding event to truly set this up as its intended?

Help! :confused:

2. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

There are a couple of really great things they did with iMovie, but the updated Projects folder is not one of them. All my projects have the same date and time stamp now, which is not good. Like you said, including the projects in the events makes very little sense. I'd be happy to see someone chime in with some sort of logical explanation.
    Another problem is that we no longer have the option to change aspect ratio of a project, and this makes no sense given the increased options the iOS 7 camera gives us.
    Here's a little walk through I whipped up, but it doesn't address your concerns specifically.

3. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm completely loss as well, terrible update. Good thing the old version is still in the applications folder. Check it out.

4. dandeco macrumors regular

Putting projects in the events folders is indeed confusing, but I also don't like how every project has to be 16:9 and in HD. I still make several "YouTube Poop" videos and those are usually in SD (I found iMovie '11 to be a great YouTube Poop creator). Also gone are DVD chapter marks and apparently rubberband-style audio editing (yet they keep those other audio editing tools and effects.)
    So for now I am still sticking with iMovie '11. For now it's better than the latest version, AND it's definitely better than '08 and '09.

5. maiden666 macrumors newbie

Is this easy to replace the last version of iMovie instead of the new version.
    Not keen on ver 10. It's all changed over,bugs me when they do that especially without any instructions.
    Has anyone found out how to change the frame rate yet,can't find it anywhere.
    How do I go back to the last version?

Ian

6. Drewski macrumors regular

iMovie 9.0.4 is still there, in your app folder. I panicked too, until I looked in the app folder on the dock. And it still works fine.

7. fiatlux macrumors regular

I'm not that far yet, because iMovie crashed when completing the iMovie 9 projects import.

I end up with a library listing projects that were all empty.

I haven't found an obvious way to restart the import from iMovie 9...

Could anybody help?

And when I try importing something, the iMovie window is grayed out as if a modal dialog window was displayed, but no window appear :confused:

8. maiden666 macrumors newbie

Can't get access to my mac at the min,but wont't the newer version just write over the old version of iMovie.
    Would the old version still be available to me?

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Just as Drewski posted, the new version of iMovie does not overwrite the old version. The old version is moved into a folder in your Applications. You can still use the old version.

10. maiden666 macrumors newbie

Okay,thanks for that,I'll have a look for it,is it just a case of opening it up and doing what I did previous.

Ian

11. maiden666 macrumors newbie

Just had a look in my apps folder and saw that iMovie was there,that's now been put in the dock.
    Thanks for the help.

12. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

Least I'm very clearly not alone with this issue. I've watched a few of the tutorials that are starting to appear on YouTube and they've helped a lot. I'm generally not the type to use a previous version when a new version is out... I try to stick to my guns, learn the new and adapt. After all, it can only get better. Once I get to the weekend here I'll be tinkering with my huge array of events and projects. I guess the best method to reduce that "updated projects" folder is to simply go through it and drag the given project over to the given event as were intended to do when starting from scratch. Projects I suppose can technically live in any folder, but it makes sense with the new design to keep them with the corresponding event.

Sound about right? For those looking to try to adapt to the new iMovie..

13. dandeco macrumors regular

My mistake; this new iMovie DOES have rubberband-style audio editing. They call it audio "keyframes." You would have to hold down the option key and then click the point on the audio waveframe where you want to start adjusting audio.
    So far it's not as bad as I thought it was, though project preferences are still more limited, along with some export options and DVD chapter marks.

14. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I only had one project before I updated, and I'm completely lost.

The thing is that I made really amazing videos with every version of iMovie from the first through iMovie 06 HD.

I was able to do creative things that they didn't guide you on how to do, but the paradigm of how to use iMovie was so incredibly intuitive that it allowed you to be creative.

I haven't really understood the idea of iMovie since iMovie 08, but I've managed to put out some videos anyhow.

This new version messed up the titles of the one project I had. And in terms of creating anything new, I find the whole program confounding.

I know ordinarily when you complain about something you should say what you don't like, but I feel like I'm staring at Greek with this application.

I would be so happy if they just put out a new version of iMovie 06 HD!

15. maiden666 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I've got back the old version of imovie before the upgrade by looking in the application foilder.
    I then deleted the new imovie icon out of the dock.
    In hindsight i wished i had'nt done that,where would my new version of imovie be,so i can have them both in the dock.

Thanks

16. kenknotts macrumors 6502

I don't like the new version either. Editing was so much easier when you could just click on the thumbnails and drag to a spot and delete whatever was in the yellow or add it to the project. I do love that they made AVCHD native though, Saves time converting older videos I have in that format. Maybe it just takes some time to get used to but the older iMovie seems much faster and easier to edit with than this does.

17. CrimsonKnight macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

Maybe I am missing something here, but I can't seem to find the jingles tracks that were used in the previous version, in the iMovie 10 app. Has anyone else had any luck?

18. dandeco macrumors regular

Wow. Now that I worked with the new iMovie on a project of sorts a bit more, I must admit I do like it a bit more. Sure, I do miss the DVD chapter creator, but at least the other features do look nice, and it is also nice to know I can still do the classic rubberband audio editing, except this time it's more like how you'd do it on a professional program (i.e. the audio keyframe creation.)

I might use it a bit more, but for now I am still going to also keep iMovie '11 and iMovie HD 6 as well. I think those two were probably the best versions of iMovie, IMO.

19. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I wish I still had a copy of iMovie 6 HD! That was such a great program. It runs OK on Mavericks?

20. AppleTalker macrumors member

Amazing how you got people to help you in your thread. No one every helped me with my iMovie problem :(

I have a problem with 10.0, the "All Events" section won't clear any events. I've tired resetting it, clearing the flies (iMovie Events/Projects) via finder, turning sharing via iCloud OFF for iMovie, and NOTHING has worked! I have deleted the video file(s) from my computer, that hasn't worked. This new iMovie is very stupid when it comes to Events. Anyone have any ideas that could work? :( Please?

21. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I can't get the new iMovie to import a iMovie from the latest IOS iMovie version- says it only imports up to version 1.4 and the IOS version is 2.0

Very strange

22. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I suppose at some point a "missing manual" will be developed, but until then I feel lost at sea with this new version as well. It was a little concerning to me that all my videos had been cropped to 16x9, and it took me a while to figure our how to switch them back. Given some time I guess I'll figure it out, but boy do I miss iMovie '06.

23. NateshDaniel macrumors newbie

Frame rate and frame counter missing!

Hey Ian, I've been upset about this as well. I'm also looking for info about the frame rate. I'm assuming Apple has hidden this information and is providing slo-mo and fast-frame effects using whatever frame rate is available from the source video, then outputting 30fps as a standard. But I can't find any documentation about that.

I'm also looking to change the time counter from decimals to frames. Apple really dumbed this product down. Too dumb, IMHO.