iMovie sound issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pengu, Apr 12, 2007.

1. pengu macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

I've tried to find a solution for this on here, and on apple's discussion boards, but nothing came up..

Anywho. I'm importing a clip into iMovie 6 (adding it to an existing project) from a HDR-HC1 (Sony 1080i HD camcorder) but when i play the clip back, the sound is not playing at "full speed". I opened the clip in QT (outside of iMovie) and it played ok, so why does it play slowly in iMovie? I've seen some posts saying hdd space could be an issue, and i'm clearing as much space as possible from the volume the project is on (system is one partition on disk 1. movie is on a diff. partition on disk 1. home dir is single partition on disk 2)

it seems unlikely to me that it is a disk space issue though, as the file is imported correctly (QT plays it fine) but imovie has some weird issue with it.

i've just deleted preferences, and the partition with the project on has 140GB free.

my specs are below.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My first guess is that the file in question relies on some codec that you have installed, but iMovie isn't aware of, for some strange reason. Does converting the audio portion of the file to a different format help at all? (You may need QuickTime Pro to do this.)

3. pengu thread starter macrumors 6502a

the clip is a STANDARD HDV clip. anyway, i've found a way around the problem, so just pretend like i never wrote that. oh wait, you didnt read it anyway.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Why don't you share your "way around the problem" in case somebody else hits a similar issue? It is a bit rude to ask for help, but to fail to return the favor.

5. pengu thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dragged the clip out of imovie. (copied to the desktop effectively). deleted the clip in imovie, then copied it back in. imovie was incorrectly calculating the length of the file, hence it was all screwey. extracting the audio seemed to fix it, but only for the audio, and the video was affected as well (didnt notice this initially)

imovie seems to have a number of these rather annoying bugs that are somewhat major (transitions go to hell if you dont extract audio first) can anyone confirm or deny if FCE is in a better position? several things i've wanted to do on videos imovie wont let me, so i think i'll get FCE at the next upgrade (for me that is.).. being a subset of FC, does FCE have higher QA standards?

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I've never had such a problem and never heard anybody complaining about it. Maybe you should drop that to a "minor" bug, as it does not seem to be affecting many people.