iMovie Theater

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by davidra, Feb 13, 2014.

1. davidra, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

davidra macrumors 6502

OK, just so I'm sure I have this straight. The only way to watch a movie on iMovie Theater on the ATV is if it is uploaded to the cloud. And you can't upload any movie to the cloud that is longer than 15 minutes. WTF??

That's really crappy functionality. It would seem that one might be able to watch any movie in iMovie Theater on a Mac that is on the same network as the ATV, as opposed to having to reencode it for iTunes.

2. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I don't use it since it would eat up my iCloud.

I'd love to use it and see it as a great thing but the limitations keep me from using it. too bad.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple Data Center with iCloud does not have more room for large movie collections! :apple:

4. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't Airplay stream music directly from your computer to the ATV? Why can't it just stream video from iMovie theater as well? Why is the cloud even necessary? Or is it required that something be in iTunes to stream?

5. priitv8, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

priitv8 macrumors 68020

IMHO the whole idea of iMovie Theater is to share your movie snippets with others. Kind of like Shared Photostream. Hence the cloud.
    EDIT: I stand corrected - as it's set up at the moment, you can't share iMovie Theater with other Apple ID-s.
    But again, taking example from iCloud Photostream, I wouldn't be surprised if the functionality will extend over time. Photostream started out as a one-man-show as well. Sharing was added only later.