iMovie to iDVD, rendering and new iMac Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmcgonag, May 2, 2007.

1. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

First part:
    I make a movie in iMovie, get all my clips together, add audio layers, set chapters, save it, and then share to iDVD. I then setup the Main screen, menus etc. in iDVD and burn a DVD.

if I click Done, and close the application, then open the project again later, should everything be there? I've done this now a couple of times, and when i reopen the project, nothing is there. it remembers what Menu style i chose, but the pictures in drop zones are gone, the movie itself is not there, etc.

I have just been saving the movie as an .img file, hopefully I can just burn this using Burn or Disc Utility.

Part two:
    Just ordered a new iMac (refurb but still), and I like the way my macbook pro's applications are setup. Can I somehow copy that into the iMac, or do I need to install each piece of software again. All my software is freeware except for 2 which I realize i will need to get a new license key for anyway.

Thanks,

Brian

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Yes, your iDVD project should remember everything. Are you sure you are saving your project?

3. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Yeah I am, not sure what's going on, but I figure just save it as an .img file, and then I can burn it no problem, but if I want to edit it in anyway, it becomes a hassle, I'll keep messing with it to see what's going on.

Thanks,

Brian

4. Grasbak macrumors 6502

If I understand you correctly - you think that saving as a disc image (.img) is saving the project. It is NOT!

You need to save the project itself - save/save as. I suspect the reason why you get the theme etc is iDVD saves the project when it creates it - you are not saving any of the changes you have made.

The disc image is non-editable (as far as I know!). I think the reason to save a disc image is to burn multiple DVDs without iDVD recalcuating the data.

Apologies if I misunderstood!

5. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I am saving the project as well, and I can see where you thought i was only saving the .img from my posts, sorry about the confusion. I tend to use the apple-s for save, and I've noticed on occasion that it doesn't work, or a different app is the focus, and I forget to change back, so I may have done that too...

I will try it from the File menu next time to see if that is my issue. Thanks for all the great feedback.

Brian