iMovie to iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rahsten, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

Just a quick and hopefully simple question.

I'm trying to Share a movie I just edited in iMovieHD over to iDVD using iMovie's Share menu. However, it default saves the dvdproj into the Documents folder on my MacBook HD, whereas I want it to save onto my external HD....unless of course the iDVD project doesnt exceed 16GB because thats all the space I have on my MacBook HD. The iMovie project is about 39GB...so...if it's shared over to iDVD is it still 39GB or does it get cut down to a max of 4.4GB to fit on a DVD? Not too sure about this.

Also, is there any way to change the destination Share folder between iMovie and other apps? I checked Prefs in both apps but saw nothing.

I tried making a new iDVD project and just dragging and dropping my iMovie project into iDVD drop zones....but I lose all the chapters i made in iMovie and theres no buttons><! on the DVD menu. I really just want iMovie to share it over smoothly because I am already a very time constrained person and I dont have the time to go through and totally customize everything in iDVD.

thanks

2. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

You should be fine to leave it where its at. I always try to have around 10gb of free space on the HD where i am going to save the file to. Also, when you start iDVD, the dvd project file will only be as big as your DVD size (whether you selected single or dual layer). So for most, it should be around 4gb. Also, you may want to save it to a disc image first, play it from the image file in you DVD player on your macbook and make sure everything works good. Then go into disc utility and burn it from there. Many times I will keep the project in the internal hd under documents, and then do the save as disc image to the external.

Also, if you don't want to save the project file to the Docs folder. Just click file; save as and select the external hd. You can then delete the project file in the Documents folder in the internal hd. I'm not sure of a way to change the destination though for future purposes. Hopefully that helps

3. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

Thank you for helping me out. All worked well and burned my first movie to DVD. Looks real nice too!:)