iMovie to Quicktime but won't play on LG tv?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by act1980, Jul 5, 2012.

1. act1980 macrumors regular

act1980

Hi guys,

So, I imported my HD movie from iMovie into Quicktime using 720p. Problem I have now is that when I try and play from my NAS to my LG tv it doesn't recognise the file?

Are there certain settings that I should have used when converting? If not, is there a good, free conversion software that I could download? Or perhaps I should just invest in Apple TV? Reason I haven't is because I have the NAS and I'm not sure how much use I would get out of it.

Thanks for any help!:D

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Except for telling us that you have a problem, your post is remarkably content-free as to the nature of your problem. LG supports .mp4 and .m4v movies using the h.264/avc or MPEG-4 Part 2 video track and the AAC audio track. This is all very standard QuickTime. There are no mysterious or proprietary settings. There is no need for some kind of converter utility that runs exclusively under Windows Vista.

LG supports other formats that are either open standards or de facto standards. The default settings of whichever video editor you are using should work for movies that you want to view on your LG TV.

However, you have left out virtually all relevant information about your situation:
    1. What is the model number of your TV?
    2. How are your transferring the video to your TV? Are you using a USB drive? Are trying to stream over the network?
    3. If you are streaming over the network, then are you aware of the fact that LG uses the DLNA standard for media streaming?
    4. Have your purchased a DLNA server for your Mac?
    Information. Help us help you.

3. act1980 thread starter macrumors regular

act1980

Hi,

I hope this information is helpful, apologies if I was vague, I don't normally post on these forums.

I have actually started using Handbrake to convert the mov to mp4, I don't understand why the file goes from 3gb to 1gb once converted? Will the playback quality be impaired because of this?

Thanks!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Files with the MPEG4 with the .mp4 extension are explicitly supported. However, you answered none of the questions that I asked you in Post No. 2. Within those answers are clues as to why files that should play just fine on LG TVs don't play on your LG TV.

One additional question:

What are the Handbrake settings for your converted files? Which video track format? Which audio track format?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes he did. Look in the Quote box in his post above yours. They don't stand out very well.