iMovie vhs conversion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whitenoise, Feb 25, 2011.

1. whitenoise macrumors regular

I have a '10 mbp i7 2.66Ghz that I'm using to convert some old vhs tapes, before they fall apart.

I'm using a dv camera to convert into iMovie. The first couple of files I have completed were simple selections cut from the "Event" and exported as a large 720x540 movie.

At this point I would appreciate a few pointers, on the best way to deal with this video, this is my first attempt and I am a little confused about the best way to deal with - especially the best way to output the video.

The reason for this post - I have a full tape of almost 2hr currently exporting, but I keep getting an error -34, after 3-4hrs, just its finishing. I googled this and its supposed to be about hd space? So, I dumped as much from my hd as I could, making 270GB of free space, but this error is still happening.

Is 2hrs just too long of a video?

Would exporting to a different format make a difference?

thanks for your help.

2. whitenoise thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm, looks like changing the share settings to medium made all the difference, and the quality doesn't seem to have been affected. (though I still don't see it being a problem with disc space).

I'm still a little confused about the best size vs quality settings for something as low res as vhs, but I'll keep investigating.

3. whitenoise, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

whitenoise thread starter macrumors regular

what now?

so, everything was working fine.....

I've been exporting to medium without a problem until, 24:43 - 300.7mb file. with over 200gb free on the hard drive. Getting another error at the end of preparing the movie, this time (-2048).

I havent been able to find an answer to this, its such a small file I cant imagine its anything to do with that. I havent done anything differently - recorded vhs through dv cam - selected section(s) - added chapter markers - share as movie medium.

Is there somewhere that lists all these codes, btw? It would make life a little easier if I had a rough idea of what the basic problem was, instead of just a number.

thanks.

I've managed to get it working. Looks like going into Disk Utility - repair disk permissions fixed this. (I did this last time as well, so it looks like that it was maybe the problem and not the export size.)

As I'm still a novice mac user anyone wanna try explain why this is happening? Is there something strange happening with my mbp or is it easily explained?
    - edit: seems like this was just coincidence?

4. whitenoise thread starter macrumors regular

the monologue continues.....

The very next movie I tried to export I got the error -34 , which is supposed to be about low hd space, (from all the googling I've been doing). I tried all sorts of different things and couldn't stop the error, until....

the file was 1:15:00 long, (one clip), I selected half and added to the project - then the other half and added it. The project exported without a problem!

So it looks like imovie doesn't like the clips to be too long, I suppose my use isn't the norm, (most people will be editing small clips together). I will have to try it on another project to confirm, but I hope this is the answer. :)

5. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

Just an FYI, I have exported 1.5 hour 1080p movies with Share > Export Movie > 1080p, but if you try to export using Quicktime to an MP4 rather than MOV from the previous, it errors out for size issues. I don't know why, but just a pointer.