iMovie video compression issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brandondm, Nov 22, 2011.

1. brandondm macrumors newbie

Hi all, brand spankin' new to MacRumors but have found several useful threads here before.

Anyways, I work with audio in Pro Tools a good bit so I'm used to file management and audio settings...BUT what I'm trying to do now is use Quicktime to do a screen recording and using my interface to record audio so that I can make some Pro Tools tutorials. When I save the movie and open it up, it looks fine and sounds fine as well (and is only 20MB). BUT when I import it into iMovie or iMovie HD, immediately the picture is very blurry onscreen and no matter what "Share" or "Export" settings I use, it always prints down with a very blurry image to the point you can't read anything onscreen. The sound is OK but I'm going to pull the movie back into Pro tools for the audio work anyways.

So is there something I'm missing here? Ive tried doing a Save As from Quicktime with different settings, multiple Export settings from iMovie HD, and even at the "Full Quality" setting, it still comes out very blurry.

Im no video editor whatsoever, but this seems like a good app for what Im trying to do. All I really need is the ability to add in text onscreen, titles, and transitions primarily, but this video compression/quality issue is really holding me back. Would it be best to just break down and purchase a third party app specifically for doing screen recordings?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks all!

2. brandondm thread starter macrumors newbie

Surely someone knows about this more so than I.

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If you are only using iMovie to compress the file, and not editing it down, then try MPEGStreamClip to convert / compress the file. It's freeware, and has a lot of control over the output file size, type, and so on.