iMovie vs. Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Apr 21, 2008.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

So...importing mp4 video clips in iMovie is killing me. The incredibly long import time due to thumbnail generation is driving me crazy, and when I do manage to get around it (by force quitting), iMovie runs incredibly slowly.

Does anyone know any way to speed up mp4 imports into iMovie? If not, what is everyone's opinion of Final Cut Express compared to iMovie? I would love to pick up some more advanced editing software and After Effects for motion graphics, but the price is just too much considering I just don't do that much video work. That makes Final Cut Express seem like the most attractive alternative.

2. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I just read elsewhere that iMovie HD 6 is available as a free download to anyone that bought iLife '08. Is importing MP4 faster in the older version?

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I've found Final Cut Express to be *much* quicker importing than iMovie. I have the 06 version so it's probably around the same for both versions - in any case, FCE has much better features and is a good way to get started in more advanced stuff.

4. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Thanks for the input. I would love to be able to afford the pro programs, because I have worked with past versions pretty extensively, but I just don't have the money to do so. Sounds like FCE might be just the ticket.