Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jus407

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
OK at school we have the white plastic iMac's they have BOTH iMovie and iMovie HD

at home I have a Macbook Pro (current 4,1) and it only has iMovie

why is it that i only have iMovie and what is the difference between imovie and imovie HD???

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
They had a little fun with the names back when they were pushing the whole "hd" thing. It doesn't really mean much. Just look at the version number and it will tell you which one is the newest one.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah, the names are screwy. Most people seem to refer to them as iMovie 06 and iMovie 08. The "HD" one is the older ("06").

Since you own 08, you can also download a free copy of 06.

The other machine has both because they downloaded it, or they installed iLife 08 over iLife 06. Doing that keeps both versions.

The difference:

06 is more of a traditional Movie making program, with a timeline, etc. 06 is generally preferred by people with movie editing experience. 06 offers finer controls and more transitions than the newer version.

08 is a combination cataloging/editing program. Like iPhoto has Events and Albums, iMovie 08 has raw footage and projects. iMovie is much easier to learn for someone who has never done any editing. It can also be easier to create compilation videos from a wide variety of footage shot over the years.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
iMovie 08 isn't horribly different than the old way of editing videos though and the pervious versions of iMovie never really handled that editing style horribly well (FCE was much better).

jus407

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
thank you for all of your help and thats cool that i can download imovie 06 because thats what i use at school and not even my teacher knew the difference between hd and regular imovie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.