iMovie w/ Dual Monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SubaruNation555, Apr 21, 2008.

1. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

My Dad called and had a question that stumped me and my initial answer was that it wasn't possible but I wanted to get some expert opinions.

Here's the situation:

He wants to have an iMac (running 10.4.11) display iMovie on the main display and have the external display running a maximized window of the video with both screens running the video at the same time.

The deal is the main computer is in the sound booth in a theater and the sound guys are supposed to play/pause the movie at several points and it seems the easiest way is looking at the timeline in iMovie. The external display is going to be used on stage and needs to show the movie full screen.

Any thoughts?

2. Roseyboy macrumors member

Hmmm, back when I was studying Media at Uni I used to use a iMac hooked through a Formac Studio firewire converter box to a Sony monitor which used to do exactly what your after, but does require a little additional hardware.

Not sure otherwise.... :eek:

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I don't think it's possible with iMovie, but Final Cut Pro has that option. I imagine Final Cut Express will also have that option.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Not possible with iMovie. Final Cut Express or Pro can do it, though.

5. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. supersize macrumors member

I know in Imovie 6 you could playback through a connected camera to an external display full screen. I don't know about Imovie 7.