iMovie will not open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoshLV, Aug 22, 2009.

1. JoshLV macrumors regular

I tried to transfer a clip from EyeTV to iMovie '08 and iMovie will no longer open. It tries to open but after about 10 seconds it closes and tells me to relaunch. I have quite a few clips in iMovie totalling about 1 hour in length. Could it be taking up too much space or something? How can I get iMovie to open? :confused:

2. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

iMovie does not accept all types of video. Try exporting the clip from eyetv using the AppleTV preset and it should work.

3. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

They have had no problem until now. I was fine exporting them into iMovie, then into QuickTime, then onto YouTube. I didn't change anything but now it just won't open for some reason.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Poke around in ~/Movies/iMovie Events and see if a folder was created with a name similar to the file you had exported to iMovie. Drag it out to the Desktop, try launching iMovie again. iMovie may still be trying to import/load that incomplete file for some reason.

5. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

hmmmm no dice. I deleted the clip entirely yet it still won't open. :mad:

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Alright well if it's not due to the recently imported clip, to get a better idea of whether we might be barking up the wrong tree and if reinstalling iMovie may be the ultimate solution, create a test user account with administrator privileges, login to it, and try launching iMovie. If it launches ok, it's quite possibly something in your ~/Library folder, either in Caches or Preferences which could be causing the issue. If it doesn't launch in the other user either, reinstalling iMovie with install disc 2 or your iLife disc may be the fix.

7. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

I tried your suggestion and iMovie opened just fine in the Guest account.

8. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

Cleaned out a lot of my clips and still won't load. Am I going to have to reinstall?

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

10. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

Damn. Ehhh stupid OT question: How do I reinstall iMovie?? =/

11. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

Still a problem. I don't have the iLife disc because it came with my MBP. How can I reinstall this?