imovie will not recognize my Canon Vixia HF200

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aarlive, Sep 15, 2010.

1. aarlive macrumors newbie

I am new to the mac format, having just purchased my first imac a week ago. The first time I tried to import video files (in .mts format) from my Canon video camera through imovie, it worked perfectly. I tried to import additional videos today and imovie will not recognize my camera. I am connecting to the imac through usb and have the camera set to the computer input mode. Also, iphoto does recognize the .jpg photos that are on the camera's SD card. I've restarted the imac and reconnected the camcorder several times, but have not been able to get imovie import to work.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Not sure I can be of any help or not...

With it connected does it show up in System Profiler or Image Capture?

3. aarlive thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like the camera shows up in system profiler. Also, the SD card shows up on the desktop when the camera is connected via usb. Only thing that will not work is imovie import. See screen shot of system profiler below.

Attached Files:

4. Reidkon macrumors newbie

Aarlive, hopefully you have this issue sorted out by now. I was having the same problem and finally resolved it last night. I installed the Pixela image mixer application on the Windows partition on my iMac (I am fairly certain that there is also a Mac version but I think I lost the discs), transferred all of the video from the camera and formatted (initialized) the SD card on the camera. Next, I transferred the movies back to the camera, booted into the Mac OS, plugged in the camera and the camera was properly detected by iMovie and the movies all available for transfer.

Now if I can only figure out how to get iMovie or FCP to open the hundreds of MTS files I have.